getting tissed off with silent phone calls

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by intermiplants, Jan 30, 2008.

1. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    looks like some marketing company has got hold of my telephone number as they now ring btween 5-10 times a day we dont even answer anymore as its always silent,, after speaking to bt i have joined bt preference service and silent call gaurd to try and stop these ******s. the number is "08001218000" so if you see this number on your phone you need to get it blocked asap as its just pc generated from a call cntr they ring 100 numbers at a time get through to one and leave the other 99 on silent. is anyone else getting these or if you had in the past what did you do. ill give it till wkend and if it continues ill have to change my number :mad: :mad:

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
  3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    I even get the phone ring and its not silent, I wish it was, I get recorded messages.
    Just signed up David, thanks. [​IMG]

4. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    david i was already signed up to tps and they still got through. bt have promised that they will try and stop it in the next 48 hours and if that doesnt work i can buy a blocker box for 59 quid . like hell i can i bet once i say im leaving i get it for free thats what usually happens . after searching the number on the internet this looks like to be a bigger problem than i thought :mad:

5. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I have to admit, once I signed up all cr*p calls have stopped. The same with the junk mail. But there again, we are not with BT, we`re on cable.

6. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Thankfully i dont seem to get the silent ones as my calls are diverted and this takes about 5 seconds.

Its usually the fake charitys I get, being a business number Im plauged with them and as calls to my landline are diverted i get charged the divert cost.

Ive found the best thing is to simply interupt them and say politely if your trying to sell me something then the answers no, most hang up before I do! if they still persit then I sudgest they go forth and multiply:D

7. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i used to be inundated with calls for different people from companies, then i had a stroke of luck, i was banned from ebay because the person who owed lots of money had kept my new number (there old one) on their ebay file - so i rang BT and told them the number thay had given me was causing a whole load of problems and i asked for a new number -- thye didnt want to give me a new one so i said well i'm joining another comapny then, i got a new number and no more calls, and my ebay back. so have a word with your phone provider and say you'll go elsewhere.

8. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    shall be doing its a pain in the butt ;)

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I have had these calls before, very annoying i did the same as you have bt preference dont get them anymore

10. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    since i changed to talk talk (free broadband with them btw!) i get come back to bt letters all the time!

do you realise bt charge you �£4.50 just to pay your bill?

11. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    We have a strange person phone us .
    It goes in waves, we can get 5 or 6 a day then nothing for a week or so.
    They never speak just make noises down the phone.
    The number in on 1471.
    We did have a night one at 1.10 in the morning so I phoned BT .
    They said they can put a block on the call but we have to get 3 night calls first.
    They didn't say anything about a charge for doing it.
    We are TPS registered.

12. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I've had these calls if you hang on someone will eventually answer it's usually a call center in india, the person asks if you are mr whoever thats as far as they get,in a very firm voice I ask them what their name is what they are selling tell them i'm not interested and not to ring again, seems to work for a few weeks, if you don't answer and the connection is not made it automatically rings at regular intervals.

13. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466
    TPS works quite well but it can take up to three months to be (almost) completely effective. It only works with companies that take notice of the rules, but that is most of them.

The rules don't cover companies that are only doing 'research' and are not selling. They also don't stop your own telephone company from calling you with promotional info.

With the ones that do get through it best to do what walnut does - just tell them to take you off their list.

The ones that computer generate the calls are nearly all signed up to TPS and will leave you alone but they can take a few months to enter the numbers into their system once the current TPS list has arrived.

14. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Shiney, it may take a couple of months to stop these calls,but if you DON`T sign up then the calls never stop.

15. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466
    David :D

I signed up a few years ago and it works quite well.