Giant Crinium

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by sal73, Dec 7, 2011.

1. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Hi All , few years ago take this giant crinium back from Italy , the bulb is the size of a small water melon ,(not a joke). It`s frost hardy and the flower can reach 5 feet high with a 2 inches thick stem , but so far didn`t produce any flower yet. Can anyone give me any advice?
    I read that they like moist soil , but it dasn`t work for my one , will it performe better in a sunny position? has oneone got one similar ?

[​IMG]

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,091
    I've no experience of this, but if it were mine I would lift one of the offsets and move it indoors over the winter, planting out again in May. Just to see what happens........

3. chan2

chan2 Gardener

Gardener
    Ratings:
    +12
    hi sal,

crinum like warm, sunny sheltered position. in a bed backed with a south facing wall is ideal as long as its not too exposed to the wind.

not sure which one it is but i hope it flowers for you - they are very lovely :)

emily

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,099
    I'm also not sure what you have Sal.

I've got a clump of Crinum powelli that flowers pretty well.

I think its probably smaller than the type you have.
    Its bone dry mostly in summer in full sun.
    Appears to be totally hardy, but I think there could be others not quite so hardy.

5. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Thank you Pete and Emily.
    I would really love to know how is called , I `ve managed to save this one from my grantdad garden as my uncle is dig them out to make space for some veg.. the leaves are about 4/5 feet long and about 4 inch wide and the full plant was stand about 4 feet , but more impressive is the flower reaching over 5 feet , white /pale pink , as far as I remember the scent was so strong that the cutted flower was kept outdoor at night.
    the one in the picture is not even half of what it should be..it die down in winter (dasn`t die back in Italy)and come back in spring , I will try to move to a sunny part of the garden .
    has anyone growed crinium in pot?

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,099
  7. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    thank you Pete
    the colour ,look like this in the picture and the shape is similar to the moore.....but I start to give up the idea to know what species it is , there are too many ....plus it must be a true species , has it been in my grandad garden for at least 40 years .
    It would be nice just to manage to get some flower out.

[​IMG]