giant slugs in my garden!!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by lazy-gardener, Aug 21, 2006.

1. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    It was quite pleasant here yesterday so i had a bit of a tidy up and moved some plants which seemed to be a bit crowded. I also decided to pot up a lot if my geranium(hardy type) as they have been so prolific I will give some to my son. I uncovered bloomin great big slugs!! eurgh!! they were huge. So i have put those into my green waste bin to be recyceld as well!They had to be about 2 inches long.

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Try using salt.It dehydrates them.We put the snails in the recycling bin,but the crafty devils stick themselves to the underneath of the lid,so they get missed.

Kandy

3. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    yak dont get them on the balcony but i used to get loads in my last place was for ever throwing salt on them and slug pellets nasty things [​IMG]

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    :( I found one in the greenhouse yesterday, it was at least 3" long and fat-that disgusting beige colour with orange keel. It was trying to get roumd my slug defences by climbing up the glass to get to the tomato leaves resting against the glass. I threw it next door :( [​IMG]
    Will soon have to stop doing this as Sheila is having her garden 'done'.

5. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    The largest British slug can grow up to 16 inches long. It is black though not brown. Also it eats other slugs rather than plants, so it is quite useful. Actually most slugs eat dead plant material or each other rather than fresh green leaves. Snails are more likely to eat your plants than the majority of slugs you see. The most damaging slugs are the small fawn coloured ones.

6. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Palustris, I dont have a lot of snails but this year I have been inundated [or something] with these brown slugs and the damage to plants has been horrendous. I don't mind sharing but this year the Mesems. have barely flowered and the Gerberas have been eaten to stumps overnight. I did find a leopard slug earlier this year, but mainly it's the brown orange-keeled ones, which I never saw before I moved to Wiltshire. I always leave the black ones alone.
    I have loads of birds and frogs in the garden, and lots of sacrificial plants etc. I've even noticed that a thrush has been using my steps for snail- bashing, so there must be more of them as well. :( :( :(

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    By liz better not let shiela catch you throwing them slugs in her garden or you will not be a very popular neighbour :D :D

8. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    :D Yes, I shall have find some other way of disposing of them, she's moving in soon and her garden is being 'done'. :D

9. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Liz there is a slug pellet on the market that is animal,child friendly plus it is good when it gets wet [​IMG]

10. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Sounds too good to be true! Do you know what it is called?

11. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    [​IMG]

just had a thought if you dont like slugs maybe you would rather have one of these :D :D

12. badsal72

badsal72 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    An old gardening friend of mine told me that if you put a cloth soaked in diluted Jeyes fluid in the greenhouse then the slugs won't go near. Don't know if that is helpful or not, but the smell might put you off going in the greenhouse too. lol. [​IMG]

13. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I prefer snails, Rosa, they're easier to pick up and throw :D
    Badsal, I don't mind the smell of Jeyes fluid in moderation and any slug repellent method gets a try! Will do it today. Haven't heard of this, thanks! [​IMG]

14. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    pop a few in a pan with a dash of garlic and bobs your uncle, got a tasty little treat :D :D

15. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sorry rosa, couldn't resist the opportunity to use that smiley!