Gilly's Pond

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Gillypetunia, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been meaning to post some pics for a while, I got a new camera and this is my first pic so far. It's so wet out now that I can't take anymore pics. What do you think? I have two bright orange and white commets and 2 shubumpkins in there ;) My Morrison's lilly is just coming up too!

[​IMG]

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    looks good G, I like the wood surround, a change from slabs and stone used in sunken ponds. [​IMG]

3. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    looks lovely and neat different from the usual ponds we see on GC. very nice.

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Gilly very nice set up, don't be tempted to overstock it you have enough fish in there at the moment.

5. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone ;)

Walnut - the pond can take up to 8 fish, but I am sticking with 4 - they have already doubled in size since I got them!

I might ask my dad to make some sort of gazebo structure, with a roof on it so that I can cover the pond from the sun as well as the hungry heron. It will also add a bit of height to that side of the garden ;)

It was funny last night, all the fish kept trying to eat the rain as it was dropping into the water... hehe ;)

6. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gilly,

Really good looking pond. I am thinking about using an old wine barrel to do something similar but I'm in two minds about fish as I think I would like to encourage frogs and newts.

With regards to the fish and the rain are you sure enough oxygen is getting into the water?

TO

7. Brandy

Brandy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Love your pond Gilly, we put a new one in last year, nothing posh like yours though. We've had to empty it and refill a month back, no idea what happened, we had loads of frogs mating, plus 6 Goldfish, the spawn sank to the bottom the fish died and the pond stank to high heaven.

It's looking good at the moment, but have decided not to put fish in this time, just keep it to a nature pond with plants of course.

8. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. That's a really good idea and would be easy to do. You can buy large tubs in Wickes I think and use that in the barrel? That is the only negative thing about my pond that frogs can't get in, but then with the cat I would be worried that he would keep bringing them into me as presents etc! ;)

Oxygen seems fine. There is a pump and 3 kinds of oxygenating plants. They only come to the top when it's raining. ;)

9. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Sorry to hear about what happened though. The same thing happened with my mum - 3 times! Finally, her pond and 3 fish have been okay for about 3 years now. Touch wood I have been lucky with mine. I left it for about 3 weeks before I put two fish in. Then I put another two in two weeks later. I did have a fright the other week when it went cloudy but I do think the hot weather did that. The water is like crystal tonight. In the pic above it's a bit murky still! Good luck with your pond.

GP :D

10. watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
    +549
    dont spoil it, leave it as it is, its nice

11. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gilly,

Yep, I'd have to place a rockery around it with nooks and crannies for the frogs etc and my main garden isn't ready for that yet.

I think I'll wait as if I put the wine barrel on my patio with a couple of fish there really isn't much shelter from the sun (Ha Ha Ha the sun!!!!).

TO