GIMP

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by frogesque, Mar 1, 2007.

1. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone else want to play?

GNU Image manipulation Program Sourceforge: GIMP for Windows

If it's the first time you have used GIMP you will also need the GTK+2 Runtime Environment from the same page.

And if you want the user friendly 'Dewierdifyer' for a PhotoShop feel to the package then install PlasticBugs: GIMPshop (scroll down the page a bit untill you find the Windows version)

OK, so what can it do? It's not a PhotoShop clone and some things it doesn't apear to do whilst others it seems to do better. There is also the whole GNU, free open source ethos backing it up and it doesn't cost upwards of �£400!

I've been experimenting with the program for a few days so here's a before and after of my 'Angel'

As taken (resized for GC)

[​IMG]

Cropped, added text, merged layer, played with Script-fu (ran Clothify then did a Weave), Flattened, Save As .jpg. Afterwards borders were added with Irfanview (Canvas Size). I'm sure GIMP can do this too but I haven't worked out how yet :D

[​IMG]

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,048
    Been using it for a couple of years now. Some good lessons on the Web available too!

3. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I had an old version of GIMP about 5 years ago but it was too quirky and I could never get my head round it. GIMPshop makes it much easier to use. It's come a long way since ;)