Ginger Lilly

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by bellapinkpink, May 31, 2008.

1. bellapinkpink

bellapinkpink Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I brought a ginger lilly yesterday, i think it's a Tapeinochilus ananassae. I'm going to put it a container so I can bring it in in the winter months but what compost should I use?

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Bella, if you have T.ananassae, then you have an Indonesian Wax Ginger. Ginger lily is Hedychium. Both require a rich, free draining soil. If growing in a container I would suggest using a peat based muli purpose compost, with added JI no3.:thumb::)

3. Plantsman

Plantsman Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    That's a new genus to me. I've always known the Ginger Lily as Hedychium.

They prefer a rich, moist, but well drained soil and as you mention, best in a container that can be removed to a frost free place in the autumn. My compost mix would be two parts loam/one part leafmould/one part grit sand. I would never consider a loamless compost unless it has some weight and bulk and there was no other choice. Be sure to crock the conatainer well.

http://www.raffia.plus.com