gladioli bulbs can they used next year

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by slim, Nov 1, 2007.

1. slim

slim Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi all new to this forum i have been trying to find out if i can lift gladioli bulbs and store them for planting them next year i would be grateful of any help thank you slim

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi and welcome to GC!

At 50 mixed bulbs for a couple of pounds or so I find it's not really worth the hassle of lifting them unless you have a particularly nice plant or named variety you want to be sure of overwintering or that you want to divide. They are pretty hardy and most will come through no bother.

It's not so much the cold that gets them but wet conditions that make the bulbs rot. They can also be prone to mice and squirrels with the munchies digging them up.

Treated bulbs don't normally do so well in the second year though and it takes time for the bulb to build up strength again. If you do lift them don't be tempted to do it too early. Let the foliage die back naturally and lift after a good frost. Store in cool dry conditions until ready to plant out again next April.

[ 01. November 2007, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: frogesque ]

3. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I used to tie the bunches of foliage together and hang them up somewhere frost free. The idea was to keep them cool and dry. Once the foliage dried off the corms could be cleaned, the foliage would come off as well as the old roots and old corm.
    I have never heard of treated gladioli. What are they treated for? I found that mine if grown well were just as good, if not better in later years and i would gradually increase my stock.
    I used to grow gladioli on an allotment and I would grow them on a slight mound, cause they like good drainage but there was plenty of well rotted manure underneath as well.

4. slim

slim Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thank you both for your very good replies to my question i will try and save them thanks agaian
    slim