1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Glen Ample Raspberry

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ricky101, Aug 25, 2017.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,204
    Hi,

Wonder if anyone else has had trouble getting the garden center pots of bare rooted Glen Ample to grow this year ?

Purchased one of the Red pots containing 4 -5 roots from a big garden center in Feb, they looked quiet normal cut canes etc.
    Planted 3 in the soil and 2 in large pots but only a few manged to put up weak new stems, nothing like what they should be.
    By June they were all but gone.

Managed to find some more at a different garden centre, which by now had a fair bit of new top growth, so was hopeful these would get away ok, but very similar results to the first lot.

In each case it just looked like the roots never started to grow ..? just a bit of top growth from the reserves in the stem.
    Kind of discounted frost as not really had anything to speak of last winter.

The ones planted in the soil were in a newly prepared bed where I had already transferred over some existing canes from another plot and they grew and fruited fine, so think I can rule out the soil.

Any ideas or just a bad lot from what seems to be the same supplier?

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,699
    Not all bare root plants survive/thrive. I bought 10 autumn bliss rasps early this year, one survived, bought a further 10 from a different supplier and 6 survived.

I've put the failures into another corner for a second chance and I have yet to check on them.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,204
      Thanks, thought it was something we had done.

Bought some of those potted ones some years ago without any problems.

Just glad we did not remove all the old summer canes; at least we had a fair few summer fruits.

If you are looking for some more Autumn fruiters, can recommend Polka.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    • Heucherella

Heucherella Gardener

Full time in my garden...
      Ratings:
      +301
      I bought two potted glen ample in the winter, obviously with bare twigs, and the remained that way...Didn't grow at all. The Autumn bliss I bought at the same time have grown and are producing fruit.

I want to buy some early season raspberries to replace them with...not buying glen ample again! Any recommendations?

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,204
      Ah, the plot thickens, so thats 3 of us that had the same problem.

Were yours purchased from a garden center, typically in large red pots or from a grower like Ken Muir etc ?

Think I might order this autumn , some G Ample from places like Ken Muir, though may email them to ask about any problems like we have experienced.
      Raspberry 'Glen Ample'* (pack of 5 canes)

We were trying to start off a new bed of Glen Ample as we wanted to resite the raspberry bed and the existing canes were rather old.
      They had given good fruit over the years but sadly cannot remember the exact variety, one of the Mallings or Glens. Was going for Geln Ample as everywhere rates them as really good fruit, though no mention of trouble getting them to grow ?

• Heucherella

Heucherella Gardener

Full time in my garden...
      Ratings:
      +301
      Yes, red pots from Wyevale.

• Like Like x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,204
        I've mailed Ken Muirs about their autumn dispatched bare rooted G Ample to see if they have any comments or replanting advice; will post their reply.

Hopefully with these fresh out of the ground they will take better, though its another year lost waiting for any decent amount of fruits.

Expect the trade knows what the problem is with those red pot plants sold this year, but doubt anyone will say whats happened.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,204
        Received a quick reply from Ken Muir.

We are not aware of any problems with our Glen Ample canes and have found it to be a very reliable variety.
        We cannot obviously comment on those canes purchased elsewhere.
        It is always important to plant raspberries in a fresh bed, away from where raspberries have been grown before, as virus can be transmitted from old to new canes.
        We also recommend the use of rootgrow at the time of planting to help build up strong root growth and aid establishment.

Remember a comment from Christine Walkden about Raspberries not taking, she said the biggest problem was planting them too deep, though no specific advice given.

However think this bit from Ken Muirs guide to Growing Raspberries makes
        the point.

The correct planting depth is essential if the canes are to make satisfactory growth
        in their first year. The uppermost roots should be positioned not more than 5cm (2in) below soil level and the white growth buds may be as high as at soil level.
        We recommend the use of rootgrow™ when planting to encourage good root formation. The soil should be well firmed over the roots.

I did plant in a new bed and some in separate pots with Rootgrow, but with no success.

KM are doing 5 canes for £12.56 + £8.95 for carriage = £21.51

C Bowers 5 canes £20.45 delivered.

T&M doing 6 canes for £19.94 delivered.

Mr.Fothergill 12 canes for £20.90 delivered.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017