Globe artichokes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by 1eyedjack, Sep 27, 2009.

1. 1eyedjack

1eyedjack Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    I really love them when I get them from the deli, preserved in olive oil. I thought of maybe growing some, but I am a bit discouraged when trawling the net. They seem to be grown mainly in the med and southern Europe, so we may be a bit cold for it in the UK. Under glass does not look like a good idea because (from the images that I have seen) the plants appear grow really huge.

Do any other amateurs out there try these with any success?

My other apprehension is getting them from their natural state into something approaching edible.

2. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yep... give them a go!.. they are easy to grow.

They do take up a bit of space, but their really are a "plant them and leave them plant"

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "Do any other amateurs out there try these with any success?"

Yup :thumb:

"My other apprehension is getting them from their natural state into something approaching edible."

Best to get offsets (I think that's the right word) from good quality mother plants - e.g. don't grow from seed. A good quality / reliable garden centre might be your best bet.

4. Manteur

Manteur Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Now is a good time to lift and divide if you know anybody who has some. They really are a doddle to grow.