Gnats, Flies, Bugs - how to discourage ... ?

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by nickp, May 10, 2008.

1. nickp

nickp Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi all - I've not really noticed until this weekend (my Dad got bitten 36 times) but we have quite a few flying things in the garden. What is the best way to discourage them from the patio area?

To put in some context, there are a number of garen ponds surrounding us ....

All advice is most welcome

P.S. - just spotted and I've got a few bite marks on my legs tonight.

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Mosquitos are attracted to co2 given off as we exhale sat out on the patio is like having a lure to bring them in,there are many products out there to discourage them one of them being deet which you apply over exposed areas some people swear by eating garlic but that would repel your friends too, there are smoke coils and citornella candles and just remember anything that kills mozzies will kill beneficial insects as well,there is a system on the market that generates heat and co2 and lures the mozzies away from you,http://www.dragonfly21.com/

3. Beechleaf

Beechleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Deet is pretty well the universal solution in the tropics for keeping off the mosquitos.

As you probably know the mosquito larvae develop in ponds, so maybe that's the source of the problem. I've heard that the solution is to have fish in the pond that will eat the larvae. I think most kinds of fish would do the job

4. nickp

nickp Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for your replies - what makes you think that they are Mosquitos, are they the only flying insects that will have a nibble? or are they the most probable cause of the bites?

Can you buy candles with deet or plant something that will discourage them?

Cheers, Nick

5. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13
    Me ! every year I get eaten alive with mozzies and midges,

My wife never gets a nibble !!!

Just goes to show; She is a tough old bird; I am a sweet young thing, as far as the pests are concerned!!

Cherrio !!

6. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know how they manage in the 'midgey' areas of Scotland - it's been bad enough here recently:( Tiny little black midges (are they the same as gnats) that settled all over me as I was sitting quietly waiting to take a photo.

When we are sitting out we burn ordinary incense sticks rather than citronella and that sems to keep them away.

7. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,857
    This may sound daft but I've heard that people that eat marmite get bitten less... I guess the insects either love or hate it;)