going to grow some taters!!!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by lazy-gardener, Feb 20, 2008.

1. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    have decided to give it a bash!! have an old dustbin thats not used so may drill some holes in it? and use it and see what happens. Am I right in saying I should start to let the potaotes seed now then plant them about march time.About what kind of yeild would I get?

2. nobbyhigo2

nobbyhigo2 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    a bin full [​IMG] chitting or not chitting i dont think it makes any odds think gardeners world did a test and they yealded about the same but if you are going to chit now is the time to start ,i grow a few plants in a large pot i put 4/5 ins of compost in bottom then cover with 4/5 ins more then top up every time i see shoots coming through the top, first earlys /salad /new pots i find the best taste far better than shop bought hope this helps.

3. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yup. I agree Nobby. I grow mine in a dustbin. I chit but that is only because I am an old f**t. Modern thinking is that it doesn't matter. Like my old dad, I always plant on Good Friday (see the Moon Phases Planting thread) but that is just tradition in my family (since about 1723 I think).

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    1723 John, Blimey, that`s nearly twenty five past five. [​IMG] :D

5. nobbyhigo2

nobbyhigo2 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    just remember good friday is realy early this year [​IMG]

6. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Last year I sowed our earlies in pots on 21st March (= Good Friday this year) this was in a polytunnel, but we're a bit further north and colder, and they were moved outside once they had grown a bit.
    First tatties were gathered on 21st May.

Chitted v non-chitted? I'm like John and chit because that's the way I was taught. However the non-chitted 'wild ones' that grow from spuds that I've missed when lifting the previous year always seem to produce a half decent crop and provide us with unplanned treats :rolleyes: