Goji berry bush

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Catrin, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Catrin

Catrin Apprentice Gardener

Smallholder
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have a very large (6ftish) Goji berry bush in my back garden. The lady, that we bought the house, off told me that she planted it a few years ago and it has never flowered or bore fruit. She also said that she was going to pull it out but as she was selling up didnt bother. I have now lived here for almost 3 years and am wondering if I should pull it out as it's a boring bush that doesn't even flower. I shall give it one more season and if its still not going to do anything then its outta here! Anybody got any tips or advice on how to encourage him to grow? Thanks in advance :)

2. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    I have the same, it's probably been planted at least 7 years and no fruit ever, although I might have seen a flower once. It's on the allotment so it doesn't bother me.

I got it from Aldi, so may not have been the choicest selection!

3. Catrin

Smallholder
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hmmmm there doesn't seem to be much info online about these bushes. They say that it will tolerate any soil and once it has established it is frost proof and should bear loads of fruit. Maybe they lie, lol. I think I should have posted this in the "tropical plant" area. Someone must know how these plants work :P

4. Catrin

Smallholder
    Ratings:
    +5
    I just posted this question in another area on the site. I'm thinking now that I should have posted it here :/ Any tips on growing Goji berries? Had a bush for 5+years that hasn't flowered.

5. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    I don't think it's tropical, tough as old boots. It's been discussed several times on here, can't remember anyone saying they got loads of fruit!

6. JazzSi

JazzSi Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,239
    Never had any fruit on mine either, just a mass of straggly stems & mildew.
    Seem to remember reading somewhere that there is a variety that hardly ever fruits & that this variety was imported by T & M when the Goji was the latest fad.

7. Adendoll

Adendoll Super Gardener

Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +1,308
    Had mine for about 4 years again from Aldi - again no fruit or flower.
    In fairness though, I planted mine into a area of sandy embankment that I wanted to stabilise with planting and it is said Gogi is a good plant for this ...... So mine is earning it's keep up to now!