Golden Sambucus

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Louise D, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    We've been talking, on here, about the dark and the golden sambucus' recently, and ..... who knew that the golden one was so difficult to get hold of !

I've spoken with 3 local garden centres, looked online at my local supplier of large/established/instant plants and no-one has it ....
    I saw one at/in Abbotsbury's plant sales area a couple of weeks ago but didn't buy one because i thought i could get better - they were a bit ropey - but no ! :wallbang:

The GC's think possibly in Sept/Oct but more likely that i'd have to order one .... the dark leaved ones are more popular apparently :mad:

I'll get one, just not 'yesterday' :WINK1:

2. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    Blimey I'm surprised, every nursery and garden centre around Mid-Cheshire where I used to live had them a couple of years back????

One nursery in particular used to stock many dozens of the golden one, the purple ones and the cut leaf varieties, as well as the variegated one :thumb:

3. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    wait till autumn ... loads of the trees and shrubs I need to plant will only be available in autumn (thats what my garden centre said) ... I think many are imported from Holland

a few days ago I was after a sambucus black beauty .... phoned several garden centres and only one had a few in stock

4. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    I saw dozens of Black Beauty earlier today, aswell as Black Lace, half of them were in pots that were roughly 12" diameter.
    Apparently the larger plant sizes are increasingly popular.

I've bought large established shrubs for years now, when need be, but it seems that more people are doing it these days.

I'm loathed to plant anything out in the autumn because of the early and cold winters now, things just don't have long enough to get their roots established - why do the GC's keep saying plant in autumn and winter ? :wallbang:
    It's asking for trouble, surely :what:

5. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    I often wonder aswell ... I am still learning, but makes more sense to me to plant in spring, then the plant/shrub/tree has several months to establish before getting hammered by cold wind, snow and frost?

but suppose there is a science to it ... I have read on several internet sites that autumn is a good time to plant

6. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502

It's always been true. I cut my gardening teeth on that fact.
    I just wonder whether though, with us going through the phase of colder winters, if it's still actually the best time.
    I've not planted anything after August for the last 2 years, but a gardening friend plants up to and during autumn and loses a large percentage - working on that theory ........ !!!

I'll stick to my own theories, we all have them !

7. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,341
    Because the punter will be back next year to buy another one :-)

Jack McH

8. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    You're right !
    Assured business, eh !

The friend i mentioned replaces every thing she loses :mute:

9. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    We had a very mild October and November last year. I thought winter wasn't going to arrive............

After Christmas I would say the winter in Leicester was pretty much normal, it was only December that was a complete nightmare.

I personally wouldn't pay a garden centre for any kind of sambucus as they are extremely easy to strike cuttings from, and given lots of food and water, will grow fast. And well worth it, they are propably my favourite native plant as well as a beautiful garden shrub.

I have a golden sambucus which is struggling in the drought, but still alive. I'll take a few cuttings today, if they strike you are welcome to one. Also a variegated one which is a good grower.

10. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    Madahlia, are you saying that your area escaped the snow last November ? I'm absolutely staggered, you must be in a wonderful cold-free zone.

Most folks will say that from the middle of November, for a few weeks, they were plunged into snow and minus figures.
    This area i'm in very, very, very rarely sees snow and never ever experiences minus temperatures and it came as an enormous shock.

11. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    there are a few on ebay at the moment:

Sambucus 'Sutherland Gold' ... buy it now of £13.99

Outstanding FOLIAGE SHRUB - Sambucus 'Sutherland Gold' | eBay

------------------------

Sambucus racemosa 'Plumosa Aurea' ... buy it now of £19.99

Sambucus racemosa 'Plumosa Aurea' | eBay

--------------
    YELLOW LEAF - SAMBUCUS NIGRA-FLOWERS & BERRIES ... buy it now of £3.99

YELLOW LEAF - SAMBUCUS NIGRA-FLOWERS & BERRIES | eBay

.... and 2 large ones for £15.00
    SPECIAL OFFER 2 x Lge SAMBUCUS AUREA Shrubs Elderberry | eBay

12. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    No, no, we had a vile December, like everyone else. But temperatures plummeted to -10 with no warning after a reasonably mild Autumn. I was dreading Jan and Feb as i assumed we would have lots more of the same, but they were just normal for the time of year, which December certainly wasn't.

13. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    Thanks for those links Dim.
    I have to say, the prices are not competitive with the garden centres or nurseries - the ones from ebay are smaller plants and dearer.

I will happily pay high prices if the plant is a large size and value for money but this isn't the way i personally would buy plants - they're too small and not value.
    Interesting to see though, thanks again.

14. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    I bought a black beauty sambucus for £5.99 from a garden centre last week ... is approx 1 foot high (but has grown a couple of inches in the last week, as I was working in that garden this morning) ...

because not many garden centres have them currently in stock, ebay prices are high as the sellers are aware ...

one of the links I posted has the price of £5.99 at the bottom of their advert, so they forgot to edit the advert properly

all boils down to supply and demand I suppose

in a month or 2 they may be cheaper at garden centres when they are available again

15. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    At the GC's and nurseries i go to most shrubs are around the £8-15 mark, the size pot is a minimum of 10" diameter and the plant usually about 2-3' high.
    That is a resonable deal, in my opinion.
    Everything is worth what someone will pay for it, ultimately !