Good rose care programme?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Sandy Ground, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
    Ratings:
    +5,368
    What would be a good rose care programme in the UK? I was wondering how it would differ between here and there as regards all aspects from fertilising to pruning, and everything in between.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,893
      I think this is a question for our Rose expert @wiseowl, if he would be so kind. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        I'm looking forward to his reply. I have a feeling that the climate differences between here and there will not only provide a good discussion, but be very educational for all.

• Like Like x 2
        • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +91,667
          Good evening @Sandy Ground are we talking South Sweden.Pruning could be March in Southern Sweden and May in the North as my knowledge of Sweden is limited it would be very much appreciated if you ask Woo the questions, I will do my best to answer all of them my friend;)

• Like Like x 1
          • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
            Ratings:
            +5,368
            Although in the south, heavy frosts are still common in April, so pruning would be at the end of that month, or beginning of May if its a bad Winter. I would assume it would be a lot earlier in most of the UK. Is that correct.

At the same time as the pruning, it would be normal here to fertilise. What would be the choice in the UK for this?

Part of the thoughts behind this thread is not only to compare our two countries, but also to promote a discussion between members.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +91,667
              Good evening @Sandy Ground Pruning here as a generalisation would be in March as for feeding I only feed mine once a year just as my Roses start new growth,I never feed roses in late summer or in autumn, as this promotes new softer growth which will only be killed by the first frosts.We have no hard and fast rules here as many Rosarians have different way's which suit them and have proved successful :smile:

• Like Like x 2
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +53,893
                Following on from Woo's general guidance, my own experience is slightly different to the norm......

I live in the north/west of England but being a small island the climate is different to many other parts of Britain. We have very few frosts and rarely see temperatures below freezing, but we have high rainfall and almost a constant breeze/wind. I live in a coastal position so have sandy soil which isn't the best for growing roses as it lacks nutrients.

I am able to prune my roses from mid to late February and with the mild winter we've had so far this year, some of them still have leaves and flowers. I haven't got the strength to handle manure now, but after pruning I feed the roses with chicken manure pellets and then cover the bed in home produced compost, this not only provides nutrients but also helps water retention. Because of my sandy soil, I will feed again in late April with blood, fish and bone, then a last feed with chicken pellets towards the end of July. In early September I will mulch again with compost and then leave the roses to rest through the winter months.

Because of the inclement weather here I opted to grow Floribunda's, being hardier than the other types of roses. :)

• Informative Informative x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                  Ratings:
                  +5,368
                  Two interesting posts!

Woo, what kind of feed do you use? I generally feed mine after pruning, using a mix of fertilised peat and cow fertiliser over the whole of the bed, and then a granular long term rose fertiliser near the base of each plant. After about a month, a liquid quick acting fertiliser will be added. The last one being the beginning of July.

Sheal: I have sandy ground here as well. Hence my name... Do you mix the blood fish and bone yourself, or is it available over the counter there?

One thing that I have been thinking about lately are quantities. I know roses are "greedy plants" but just how greedy are they? I have a feeling that I could give mine a lot more than I do, but where is the limit that does more harm than good?

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                    Ratings:
                    +91,667
                    Good morning @Sandy Ground)
                    This is just what I do which as proved to be most successful over the years:smile:
                    I have always thought, that you can make Roses fat , and it is not good for them,the canes get "fat" and flabby instead of hard wood, they grow soft, almost squelchy and more vulnerable to outside attack.
                    This month (February)I will give my Roses some sulphate of potash - 2oz to the square yard well hoed in, to give disease resistance and harden off the wood.and I will occasional water them at the base with water from my pond with added tea leaves which contain all the big three nutrients, N-P-K, as well as some trace minerals.
                    I never give my Rose's what I call junk food, feeding them fertiliser meant for vegetables is a bit like giving cat food to the dog;) liquid tomato feed is all right, though, because it has the same three main ingredients. or I give them nitrates, phosphates and potash in balanced proportions: easy on the nitrate or they will be all foliage and no flowers; more generous with the potash, and some trace elements.:smile:

• Informative Informative x 3
                    • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                      Ratings:
                      +5,368
                      Good morning @wiseowl

I like the idea of the sulphate of potash, but would expect that it would be better to use it a bit later here, again due to the climate.

The idea of tea leaves is attractive, there are always plenty of those around here. Might try the tomato feed as well if its available.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                        Ratings:
                        +91,667
                        Good evening @Sandy Ground my friend yes its important to remember ,our hours of sunshine and shade,type of soil,our local climate,rainfall,and what type of Roses grow best in our garden,but one thing is sure ,where ever the Rose is it will look beautiful:smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +53,893
                          No, I can't mix them myself. Unfortunately the island brings with it many restrictions, including supplies of the more unusual sort so I buy a mix off the shelf. It is so cheap to buy that it wouldn't be worth producing/mixing myself anyway. :)

http://www.wilko.com/plant-food+fertilisers/wilko-fish-blood-and-bone-15kg/invt/0274757

I think there is a point where most plants can be over fed. Even with sandy soil I restrict mine to only three feeds a year, if they needed any more or less than that it would show in the plants growth and general health.

• Informative Informative x 1
                          • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                            Ratings:
                            +5,368
                            I had a look if Sulphate of Potash is available here. It is, at a cost of £50 for a 500g box! At a rate of 2oz (= abt. 60g) per plant that adds up to a lot of money! I suspect the best idea will be to look for an NPK with the right balance. With luck, and if a good one is available, I might be able to get that through one of the farm outlets.

Otherwise, tea leaves are looking to be a good option. Wheres the kettle? :)

@woo As regards sunlight, dont forget that we get a lot more in summer, but not much in winter.

• Like Like x 1
                            • Informative Informative x 1
                            • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                              Ratings:
                              +91,667
                              Good morning @Sandy Ground even sunlight comes in many different guises ,full sunlight partial Sunlight ,dappled shade,full shade,the general rule in the UK is that Roses need 6-8 hours of sunlight,early morning sunlight is the most important in my view as it dries the leaves and prevents fungal diseases:smile:

Scania has the mildest climate in Sweden,Stockholm, Sweden enjoys the clearest skies of any major city in Northern Europe.Sunlight hours are 1821 I don't think there is a lot of difference the UK and South Sweden swings and roundabouts only my own personal opinion of course:smile:
                              enjoy your day my friend:smile:

• Like Like x 2
                              • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                                Ratings:
                                +5,368
                                Looking for a suitable NPK fertiliser yesterday, I did find a possible source of Sulphate of Potash. About £20 for a 25kg sack. A lot different to the price above! Its being investigated...:)

I'm not really a fan of underplanting roses, but looking around yesterday, I did find a few possibilities of plants that could help in their care. It seems to be that various ones have the ability to help roses remain healthier. Apparently alliums deter aphids, and others deter ants. How true is this, I wonder?