Goodbye Albertine

Discussion in 'Roses' started by alana, Jul 21, 2012.

1. alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    Many years ago (30) I visited Houghton Hall in Norfolk. Unimpressed by the estate which was mainly parkland I focussed on the planting near the Hall. There was an beautiful rose (Albertine) climbing all over the front of the house looking stunning against the stonework. A must have:)
    When we moved to our current house we bought an Albertine rose which fared well over the following ten years giving us much pleasure. Due to neglect (a growing family and full time job) it got stifled by a voracious honeysuckle and gave up the ghost.
    I have since bought another said rose and nurtured it, feeding it regularly and it has rewarded me by flowering sparsely and getting every known rose ailment. :sad:
    The time has come for it to go to rose heaven.:SUNsmile: I'm reluctant to plant another rose in the same place in case the reason it hasn't flourished is because of a problem with the soil in that part of the garden.
    Any ideas of what I could plant to replace it?

2. Robajobs

Robajobs I ♥ Organic manure and fine Iranian lagers

One armed Lion Tamer. I'm still learning the Job.
    Ratings:
    +489
    In memory of the rose you could put this there ;)

[​IMG]

Seriously, It's like a death wish putting a rose where another one was. I know, one of mine died shortly after planting even though I planted it by the book!

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Well, you could put another Rose, albeit one a bit more disease resistant, if you dug out the present soil and replace it with some compost and new soil.:snork: