Gooseberries - when to pick?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by barrym, Jun 19, 2010.

1. barrym

barrym Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to growing gooseberries, and have a large bush which now has many fruits on it. When is it the right time to pick these please? I don't want to do it too soon, or leave it too late.
    I did do a search on this web site but couldn't find this covered anywhere. Can someone please advise me? Thanks. barrym

2. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    I'm no expert, but I guess it depends on the variety and the amount of sun they get to turn them sweet. My Dad used to grow gooseberries (no idea which varieties) but some were quite small and turned yellow when ripe, others bore large reddish fruit and some were ... well just green! The latter ones my Mum mainly used for jam, but the others my Dad picked when he considered they were sweet enough (his favourite way of telling was to get us children to taste one - a cruel trick :hehe:). I'd say wait until they're soft(ish) to the touch and (in the absence of a passing, unsuspecting 5 year old) try a couple, if they're sweet enough for your taste, they're probably ready.

3. barrym

barrym Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Good answer - thanks very much. Must get my young grandchildren over for a surprise visit!
    barrym

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Barry, don`t be a wuss, pick one and try it.:gnthb:

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Tried one today, not ready yet.

Grew the bush from seed found growing wild on Cadbury castle, reputed site of Camelot.

Bush never fruited in my garden, was going to grub it out when my brother in law said he'd have it. Fruits like nothing else now. must be about 18 years old now.

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    They are not usually ready until around August time.:thumb: