Gords!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by eggydog, Jun 9, 2008.

1. eggydog

eggydog Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My wife was given a Dino-gord growing kit for chrimbo, she planted the seed and it's doing very well, it's about 8 inches high now. My question is I don't know what to do with it now, how much bigger will it get, will it produce fruit, and if so are they edible?
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    What the heck is a Dino-gord?:confused:

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Are we talking about GOURDS here Eggy? If so, they are the same family as cucumbers and pumpkins, and should be treated accordingly. What size pots are they in?

4. Damage

Damage Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I grew decorative gourds last year to see what they were like. As daitheplant says they behaved just like cucumbers etc.

If you've still got the pack I would check carefully about whether they are edible and assume not unless you can be certain otherwise.

Mine grew on through the Autumn, up the supports, and carried on up into the tree next to them. They still hadn't stopped by the time I ripped them out to make space. I stretched one out and it was easily 4 metres long.

Good fun but needed regular tieing in and then as I said completely outgrew the supports.