Grape Vine Climber

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by BeeHappy, Feb 24, 2016.

1. BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
    Ratings:
    +6,133
    :help: needed
    I have a very lovely grape vine climber that was gifted me from a friend - it has gorgeous lime green leaves and small tasty red grapes that i use in jellies :)
    Last year i grew a dark burgundy sweetpea through it which was nice but the sweet pea was somewhat overwhelmed by the large leaves ;) its such good frame work to grow another climber up tru thou - so my question is has any of the GC's grown anything alongside a grape vine or any ideas of any suitable climbers :blue thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,886
      I've always fancied a grape vine so I'll be interested to see which suggestions for companion planting come up.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,087
        They do tend to be very vigorous. I had one on my pergola when I moved in. Previous owners of my house tried companion climbers including clematis, honeysuckle and wisteria (also very vigorous) all of which were crowded out by the vine.

• Informative Informative x 1