Grass and Dogs

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by lilylurve, Jul 15, 2006.

1. lilylurve

lilylurve Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

New to the site so please bare with me. We've just moved to a new house and are getting serious about out garden so will probably be on here most days!

For now I have a query for you to see if you can help my Mom and Dad.

They have just moved to a house with a tiny lawn and have a golden retriever and a Bernese Mountain Dog. As you can imagine the grass is seriously suffering and almost all gone brown.

Does anyone know a way in which to save the grass before we give up and replace it with Gravel?

We've already tried watering it everytime they go but it so small it gets really muddy, feeding it once a week and seeding it once a week but no luck.

Advise would be lovely, Thank You! x

2. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lilylurve! Apparently a tablespoon of tomato ketchup with the dogs last evening meal is enough to neutralise the damage their wee can cause!
    Good luck in your new garden.

3. nicsdad

nicsdad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    croesco(welcome) Lilylurve x [​IMG]

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    check out dog urine as brackenbeads has had the same problem not his dogs the last occupier of his house. its under gardening discussion :confused:

5. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    sorry got it wrong under lawns not gardening discussion

6. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
  7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    iff it is just a small lawn and the dogs are going to be using it all the time i agree with liz, I would put nice paving stones down, my daughter has some parts of her garden in gravel and it is awful to walk on she does not even like it herself, shes thinking about getting rid of it.

8. lilylurve

lilylurve Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Thanks for the advise and I think we are going to go with a nice gravel patch! HoHum!

Would have liked slabbing but apparently that is also really hard to keep clean when a dog goes dodos! so gravel is just the easier option!

Thanks, Lilylurve!x

9. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Our dogs hate gravel and 'pussy-foot' over it to get to the slabs/garden. Also - slabs are easier to clean, disinfect and generally deskunk!

10. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Quite agree fmay as when i was at my daughters i did not have my shoes on and i walked over her gravel to get to her barbeque area and it was most uncomfortable to walk over, so i could see it would hurt dogs paws. :confused: