Grass growing between patio slabs :(

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by DenProject, May 26, 2010.

1. DenProject

DenProject Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys. i have a problem with grass growing between my patio slabs. is there a weed killer that i could spray them with so they dont return til next summer (or for good) or is there something else i could do to prevent this? iv thought of pulling the slabs up and laying some sort of barrier down on the soil before putting the slabs back down but thats a lot of work and im not exactly great at laying slabs!! tips well appreciated!!

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
  3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    It depends on what sort of weed, but I would recommend Roundup for most things - just make sure you don't spray any nearby plants (watch out it can drift on the slightest wind). If you have a Wilkinsons near you then their version is much cheaper - look for a weedkiller that contains "Glyphosate" :thumb:

4. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    If I've only got a few, I favour the 'old kitchen knife scraped between the slabs' technique to remove weeds. Whatever you do, don't take any slab up unless you're planning on re-laying the whole patio. No matter how experienced you may believe yourself to be at such things, it will never, ever go back as logic tells you it should. Take it from one who once found out .... the hard way!

5. GeorgeBean

GeorgeBean Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have about an inch joints on mine and filled them with pea gravel, Im thinking I might put something between mine to grow, maybe a herb or something. An ideas?

6. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    My neighbor beside me here uses straight vinegar on his to get rid of the grass, either from the jug or in a spray bottle, now depending on how much you have, it might take a couple applications, and it only takes a few days for it to die off.
    Good luck.

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    George; I'd grow some Camomile in the joints, it gives off a lovely scent when you walk on it.

8. DenProject

DenProject Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys, il try the vinegar trick first as i have loads of it, if it doesnt work, il need a weedkiller. any recommendations for long ish grass killers?

9. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I use weedol on my patio slabs. Just spray it on the gaps. It stops regrowth for a couple of months. There is always a bit soil wash into the slabs in my garden. Weeds seem to germinate on fresh air I think. I'm not keen on weed killers generally but I have no choice in my garden. The glyphosate weed killers won't stop regrowth in the joints by the way. It's great for getting rid of perennial weeds in the borders though.

Oops sorry I meant pathclear

10. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    If you're not in danger of run off from the path going to areas where you wouldn't want it then salt between the slabs will stop anything growing there.
    Otherwise Pathclear says it will stop weeds germinating for a year - doesn't work for me but maybe it will for you.

11. Karl-D

Karl-D Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    If its so bad, I would take out all the old pointing, buy a B&Q Good Paving Weed Scraper for just over £3, scrape all the weeds out then spray all the joints with one of the weed killers already mentioned and then re-point.
    TIP* when pointing, don't make a dryish mix, make it a wet mix and ad some PVA to it.
    The longer mortar takes to dry the stronger it is and less chance of cracking/crumbling and letting weeds through after using a hose on the slabs etc.
    The PVA also helps to keep the morter together and a better bond to the slabs.

12. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have just told hubby about this. We always wondered why our cement never worked. He was keeping it very dry. Now hopefully success. Thank you

13. Karl-D

Karl-D Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hya Rhyleysgranny, glad to help. :thmb:
    The thing with pointing is its only thin and a small amount that's put in so does dry really quick especially if done in summer so by making it a wet mix its naturally taking longer to dry.
    Also if the weather is warm or hot, I tend to hose the slabs down once iv scrapped all the old mortar out etc. then let the surface of the slabs dry and then point them, under the slabs will still be wet so also helps in stopping the mortar from drying too quick.
    If you don't do this in warm weather then the slabs will suck all the moister out of the mortar and you'll end up with a week joint and will end up cracking and crumbling..

14. grannydrums

grannydrums Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I use a flame gun, quick and easy and its fun.