Grass & 'grub' advice? :)

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by JoeyJoJo, May 21, 2015.

1. JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi guys :biggrin:

We have some weird dead-looking grass in our garden (photos below) which I am digging out and I have come across some grub-type-things. Im not sure if the two correlate and the grubs are ones which are causing the grass to go like this or if they are good grubs and the random bits of grass are just dead grass....

HELP?! :help: Thanks in advance....

Attached Files:

2. JoeyJoJo

Ratings:
    +7
    BTW - when pulling out some of this dead-looking grass...most of it is coming out relatively easily. I don't know if that also helps

Looking at google....it is starting to seem like they may be leatherjackets? Any ideas how to get rid?

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Look like Leatherjackets to me too.

Think you have to spread a plastic sheet on the ground overnight, weigh it down with something, then take it up and have a blackbird handy.

Think I heard that on Gardeners Question time :scratch:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • JoeyJoJo

Ratings:
      +7
      Is that the only way just out of interest? Wouldn't they just burrow back down as soon as the sun is back on them? Which makes me think I'd have to pick them up :hate-shocked:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      There's probably some orrible pesticide you could use, but i'm not sure, not something i've dealt with :)

• Like Like x 1