grass seats

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by netty, May 18, 2007.

1. netty

netty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    In the school where I work myself and the children have made some grass seats.We used squatish shaped planters,filled with compost and liberally scattered with grass seed.The grass is now about three inches long but not very thick.Will it thicken up after it has been cut or do I need to scatter more seed? [​IMG] any advice welcome as the children are very eager to try out their new seats but I am afraid to let them at mo until grass looks stronger.

2. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm utterly clueless about grass in general I'm afraid Netty, but just wanted to say this sounds like a fantastic idea! I bet ones with creeping herbs would be great too, might have to give it a go - if I can find a grown-up sized pot! Hope someone is along soon who can answer your question.

3. netty

netty Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks claire the children and myself cut the grass today using child size scissors they loved it.The grass looks a lot thicker just for cutting it so will wait and see.Yes using herbs or camomile would be a lovely idea..might try it next ;)

4. gerkin50

gerkin50 Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    regular cutting will encourage tillering ,side shoots ,so yes it should thicken up ,cut weekly ,a little and often is better than reducing length by say 50% once a month