Grass seed and ground frost

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TheMadHedger, Apr 13, 2024.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +246
    Looks like there may be a slight chance of a ground frost in my area next week. About ten days ago I sowed some grass seed and some wildflower seed. If the seeds start to germinate and there's a ground frost will it kill off the new shoots?

I should note that so far there's no sign of shoots, the weather has only been about 12C to 13C on average in my area for the past couple of weeks - some sun at times but mostly grey and damp.

I've also read that instead of covering possibly germinating seed it's a good idea to water it in the evening if a frost of any type is a possibility - apparently the evaporating water generates a little heat.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,893
    Maybe depends how cold it gets, they not you can do really other than put a horticultural fleece over the area. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Dunno about watering in the evening I've not heard that, can't imagine much evaporation at night more likely to cool the ground watering in the evening especially if the sun been out during the day

• Like Like x 1
    • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
      Ratings:
      +4,438
      I don't think I'd be too worried about it, but the beginning of April is early to be sowing seed [of any kind] directly outside, even as far south as Wales. It always depends on the location though, and altitude and general conditions will always be an important factor. Consistent, reasonable temps are better, and those are low for seed sowing/germination.

I don't think I'd be wanting to add any extra water, and like @Perki , I can't see it making any real difference.

• Like Like x 1
      • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
        +246
        Thanks for the advice.

Earliest that I'm sown grass seed before is the second week of April, this year I was feeling more daring. :)

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
        Ratings:
        +4,438
        Nothing wrong with being daring @TheMadHedger !
        Worst case scenario - you can re sow a bit later on, so it's not disastrous in any way :)