Grass & weeds growing from earth produced in compost bin

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by barrym, Aug 19, 2011.

1. barrym

barrym Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been composting for years, using 3 bins on a rotating basis, but never before untol this year have I had the following problem:
    When I have taken the lovely looking earth from the bottom of the heap and used it in pots for various things, in every one, after a week or two, I have loads of new grass shoots coming up and 1 or 2 other weeds too.
    Why is this? I thought composting was suppposeod it kill off any weed or grass seeds?
    I am not doing anything different from previous years, and never seen this before. Any ideas, tips welcome please, so I can stop it happening again next year.

Thank you.

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,827
    My guess it that it just didn't get hot enough to kill the seed in the compost bin. I have it all the time!

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    As Andy said it might not have been hot enough to kill off the seeds/weeds.

4. barrym

barrym Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to both of you. At least I am not alone. Perhaps I shouldn't have watered it occasionally, which might have kept the temperature down. Strange it's never happened before though until this year. We've had cold summers before! Thanks anyway.