Grass

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by KiwiRichard, Apr 10, 2011.

1. KiwiRichard

KiwiRichard Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have recently moved to a new property, and the area in front of the house is grassed, and big enough to park a car, I am planning on using it as a parking spot for visitors but want to keep it as a lawn and garden, my plan is to lay down a geotextile base as a stabiliser, then place Bodpave for the tyre tracks, then plant the rest of the area with low growing british native plants, and am looking for advice on

1. what grass would be suitable, ideally british native

2. and low growiung (max 30-40cm) british natives, ideally perennials that encourage wildlife

thanks in advance for any help and suggestions

Richard

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,866
    How often are you thinking of having visitors or using the area for parking? I've seen the bodpave in a few places and have to say it always looked bad:( Cars are heavy (unsurprisingly!) and a geo liner isn't going to stop the bodpave from sinking under the weight, especially when its wet.

That said, if you're set on the idea then a tough grass such as a sports ground mix might suit. Marshalls do this Buy Surestart: Tough Grass Lawn Seed at Marshalls Seeds although I have no idea as to whether it's British native or not.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Do you mean that honeycomb plastic stabiliser?

For what its' worth: I've seen it often but never seen good looking grass where it was used.