green fly black fly

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by intermiplants, Sep 5, 2008.

1. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    wonder if some of our older members could help..it seems that in some books that i have read it says that most of the pests die off in winter but now the weather has changed this and im finding pests all year round as most of us do..can any of our members remember when they all died off in winter and how long ago was this:thumb:

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    It's a problem Ste. I keep a lot of plants indoors overwinter so I have to ensure they are pest free before I bring them inside otherwise they just proliferate,I should imagine the time when pests were killed off with hard winters would be about 1800 and frozen to death.:D

3. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    The last winter of prolonged cold weather down here was in 1962/63. I think that was the coldest winter since 1947 which in turn was the snowiest for many, many years.

We don't seem to get winters any more down here. It's mostly just a bit of frost in Jan, Feb and March.

Pests of all kinds, not just insects, survive without much trouble.