1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Green manure

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by Linz, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    Been pondering over green manure.. Do you use it? If so, what do you use?

Lupins or a rye mix seem like the obvious choice for me, although I read it must be some bitter blue lupin.. won't normal lupins do?

I know mustard is a no-no for me as we have clubroot but I found this:

"Interestingly mustard can be used to clear clubroot from a vegetable patch from repeated sowings. The idea is that being a brassica it will activate the clubroot spores, the plant is then dug before maturity which therefore breaks the life cycle of this disease. Club root can remain dormant in your soil for up to 20 years so this is good news if you have it. This method will take a while on account of the repeated sowings but a very satisfying organic way of combating this tricky condition."

Worth me potching or a load of bull?

Also, can't remember where I read it but red clover is also a big no for clubroot.. or did I read wrong?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    I used something called (Hungarian) ? grazing rye last winter.

I've got club root in the soil, also, so tend to steer clear of mustard, interesting that it might clear clubroot if used each year, not heard that.

3. Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    Sounds like too much faff to use mustard.. like, when could you use the soil for other brassica??4 years, 10 years?

Quick google shows me this on hungarian rye mix: "One of the best green manures for winter use. Great for storing nutrients, improving soil structure and suppressing weeds. Continues to grow in cold weather."

Did you think it was any good? I suppose it's better than leaving soil bare..

4. Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
    +151
    I've just had a look online myself @Linz and there seems to be plenty of choice with the Hungarian Rye mentioned, also Buckwheat and several other types.
    I'm tempted myself to at least experiment on a section of my plot, over winter, just to see if there are noticeable differences come next year.
    Something to be aware of though, I read once or twice that green manure can take a negative effect on those fine tiny seeds like carrots etc but a month or two gap after digging in should make it safe for sowing

5. Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    Yeah, I think I'll give it a go using rye mix then, just I got lupin seeds here and wondering if they'll do the same job

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    Well. you will probably get the neighbours complaining as it just looks like coarse grass, but it does suppress annual weeds to some extent and in spring I just cut it down and turned it in.

No problems with regrowth.

I've used it only one year, so too early to say, but I think it helps.
    Tried winter tares the year before but it just never took off and was very thin.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Tinker86

Tinker86 Gardener

Ratings:
      +151
      Lupins Green Manure Seeds

If they're similar to this lot, seems as though they will do the job fine, have a butchers when you get a minute.
      Does look as though you need to look lively and get them in sharpish with sowing advised Mar-Jul

• Like Like x 1
      • Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +957
        phacelia tanacetifolia, easy to grow from seed. The bees love it, if you let it flower.

• Useful Useful x 1