greenfly blackfly

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by intermiplants, Sep 5, 2007.

1. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    when should i expect to see the end of the greenfly/blackfly would the first few frosts see them off or do i spray my plants all year round. ive kept them at bay for the first time this year but wouldnt like to see my hard work go to waste

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Inter, with the way our seasons are nowadays I wouldn`t trust pest control to the frosts. David.

3. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have millions of aphids at the moment. I don't want to spray as the plants are in flower.

My lupins are covered - I am hosing them off everyday but each night there are millions of them again. The plants are starting to look really sick. I am away or the weekend and dread what state they are in when they get back. I fear I will have to chop the flowers off (which are wilting anyway as they are covered in the critters) and get the provado on it - whilst shielding the neighborouring flowering plants

I understand nothing seems to eat lupin aphids which seems to fit as I have never seen aphids reproduce so quickly. I fear my lupins may be lost by the time I return on Sunday!

4. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Ellie. Ladybirds will eat them. But the problem is finding yourself a pet ladybird or 200. :D

5. Fonzie

Fonzie Gardener

Transportation
    Ratings:
    +15
    If you haven't already, get flowers that attract predatory insects into the garden.
    Ladybirds being one of many. Their larvae are voracious eaters of greenfly, even more than the adults.