greenfly etc

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by willow13, Oct 14, 2007.

1. willow13

willow13 Gardener

Ratings:
    +31
    [​IMG] merry meet one and all,

I dont use chemicals in my garden but had trouble with greenfly, blackfly and blackspot on roses and also powdery mildew on other plants. In the past i tried all the usual chemicals but felt guilty about using them so i looked on the net and found that a natural oil called 'NEEM OIL' has been used for hundreds of years on the asian continent to control all manner of diseases. i found a company in the UK that sell it-it is organic. and for the past two years i have been spraying my plants with and i have had no trouble with the above diseases.
    This is the company i get it from:
    http://www.serendipityherbals.co.uk

you dont need a lot of neem oil-a little goes a long way. Have a look at the site if your interested.

blessed be

willow

2. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    So Neem oil controls diseases? I looked on that site and could not see any reference to it being used in the garden. There was a reference to it being used to control pests on animals but not diseases. I can imagine the oil blocks the breathing holes on the outside of the insect's body.
    Greenfly and blackfly I have blasted off with a sprayer on the hosepipe. For diseases i am finding it more difficult to find an organic solution. I tend to use Sulphur but i still got blight on the potatoes. Next year I will have to spray before I see the disease.
    For bigger insect pests such as caterpillars I have used Derris which is naturally occurring and that gives an acceptable control, but i would not want to use it where there might be beneficial insects so the aphids just get the water treatment.

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Geoff, instead of using sulphur try a copper fungicde. David.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,089
    I investegated neem oil a couple of years ago.
    I dont doubt what willow says but its, (as far as I can tell) not cleared by DEFRA for use as an instercide or a fungicide, and cannot be sold as such in the UK.

Therefore working out dilution rates could be a problem.

5. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    My brain was asleep I think - I used Copper sulphate but too late to save my spuds. The tubers did not rot but my Desiree would have been 8 times the size if the blight had not hit. I was thinking of getting Bordeaux mixture for next year but my wife said she had heard that it was being disallowed from organics because of the copper.But the Organic Gardening Catalogue still has it in their new catalogue. Anyone shed any light on that please? The edibles in my garden are strictly organic.
    Neem oil - I have seen some web sites selling it for garden use and I am pretty sure they were in the UK. Wonder what the legal position is.
    http://www.growell.co.uk/p/1110/Neem-Repel.html
    If you are right then this site is a bit naughty. The Organic Gardening Catalogue certainly don't list it and that was my first port of call.

6. willow13

willow13 Gardener

Ratings:
    +31
    hi, when you order neem oil they send you instruction for dilutions for plants. If you contact the company i buy it from (see previous post) they will send you lots of information about neem oil and all what its used for.

BB
    Willow

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  8. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Geiff, copper is an organic compound. David.

9. luvgarlic

luvgarlic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

10. luvgarlic

luvgarlic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry no. Organic (in chemistry) means containing carbon and copper is a metal.

Also, just because something occurs naturally, doesn't mean it is suitable for use in an organic growing regime.

[​IMG]

11. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I stand corrected. David.

12. luvgarlic

luvgarlic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Phew thanks, I thought you might ask me to define the term organic as it relates to gardening! ;)

13. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,089
    Walnut, if it aint cleared to be sold as an insectacide, you cant sell it as one, legally.EEC rules I believe.
    Thats why Jeyes fluid is now, (I think) basically sold as a disinfectant.

14. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The definition of organic in growing produce is that you pay �£450/year to the Soil Association. Otherwise you are stuffed if you sell it as being organic. :(

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Pete I stand corrected as you point out neem is not approved for sale as an insecticide you can use it for anything else but to me it seems ridiculous when these sites that sell it give you the dilution rates to use on the garden, it is a natural product and well worth using (better check the teatree as well)
    http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/approvals.asp?id=1355