Greenhouse doors

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by moonraker, Mar 6, 2012.

1. moonraker

moonraker Gardener

Ratings:
    +243
    Hi Folks, hope your all well,
    Ive had a visitor round this morning and we got talking about my greenhouse and one thing led to another and i was told that any plants my visitor puts inside the greenhouse near to the door end ended up with damage to the plants that he's overwintering,
    ie leaf burn through cold getting in.

I found this problem with my own greenhouse "bought new" after it sat on its concrete base after a few months,
    It was the door tends not to fit tight enough to keep the freezing wind from getting in,
    I found that by drilling two small holes in the door & door frame opposit each other when the door was closed and fitting a small hook on the door and an eye on the frame, (ive done this with 2xhooks & eyes one top of door & one lower down near the bottom of the door)
    Also on the inside of the doorway ive a curtain idea made of bubble wrap, this i pull across the full door area and then when im outside i close the door and secure a good fit by using the two hooks & eyes.

It really is very simple to do "but ensure when drilling you dont drill into the glass or to near the glass".

Since using this method ive had no more draught damage and the greenhouse stays warmer longer.

2. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Yes, we did something very similar with our greenhouse door, worked a treat!!:thumbsup:

Val