Greenhouse fan

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by AirAssisted, May 21, 2010.

1. AirAssisted

AirAssisted Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A much more experienced greenhouse gardener than I, mentioned in conversation the use of a fan to circulate air within the greenhouse. Has anyone got/tried a solar powered fan?

They are for sale around the £30 mark on ebay

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I think a fan is more important in the winter, stopping the air stagnating, mould developing.etc.

Cant say I've seen the solar powered ones, but then I dobt they would be much use in winter.

3. VEG.

VEG. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose its down to the size on the greenhouse and the available ventilation. Dont think you would need one on an 8 x 6, if you have openers on it.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I've thought about using them and think its not such a good idea. Provided you can open the door and have a couple of vents then natural air movement will expel the hot stuff. Shading is more important so I'd rather spend £30 on that.

5. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You`d need a good sized fan to cool a 100F greenhouse with outside air at 84F. In order of importance, i`d go for passive ventilation, shading, a misting system and then if all else fails add the fan to enhance the misting system :wink:

6. Makka-Bakka

Makka-Bakka Gardener

Research assistant and someone to blame things on
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have an electric heater for the wintertime (which I have set to minimum) just in case the temps plummet and the paraffin heaters cannot cope!

It also can be used as a cool fan in summer, it is useless for this purpose as it cannot move enough air!

I have an alu greenhouse, all I do is remove one complete set of 3 panes of glass from one panel, it only takes a couple of minutes to remove them or the same when they have to be replaced when the temps return to normal!

:gnthb:

7. VEG.

VEG. Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Easier to leave the door or/and windows open. :lollol: