Greenhouse Help

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Alasdair, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Alasdair

Alasdair Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just been given a greenhouse for my birthday, it's a 3rd hand 8x6 aluminium with NO plans.

Any plans/help/images on how to assemble my huge jigsaw puzzle would be appreciated.

thanks

Shrek

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Shrek, youlle get loads of help with your greenhouse when the right people are here...

3. Alasdair

Alasdair Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks dee.

I might just change my name to some sense of normality.

Alasdair

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Shrek, any idea on the make?

5. Alasdair

Alasdair Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    yes aluminium, sorry no i haven't looked closely yet, will probably look in the coming days and let you know

Alasdair

6. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Alasdair, so do you look like shrek :D

7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Post some pictures of the bits when you get it. Chances are some one on here has one and can post afew photos / instructions to help with asembly.

8. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I do hope you have a calm state of mind when starting to put the gh together as most of the time it's hard enough to put things together when you have the instructions!

A shot or two of whiskey should help you out. [​IMG]
    Helen.xxx.

9. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Alasdair, I am just finishing putting up my new g.house. I say 'I' but after taking one look at the kit I asked a neighbour, who used to be a steel erector if he wanted to earn a few quid in his spare time. After a few hours we literally threw away the instructions and put it together, with much trial and error, from a picture of the finished item. The instructions were written in a peculiar dialect of an even stranger language that was only vaguely related to English.

The one thing we did learn was that it is essential to have proper foundations and any nonsense about anchoring it directly to the soil with long pins is an absolute no-no. If you can find a picture of it by browsing the web that is the best thing to work from.

I would send you the so-called instructions that came with mine except they were literally so useless that they went straight in the wheelie bin for re-cycling.

So the only advice I can give is to be prepared to put the frame together several times on a trial and error basis and not to lose heart. As you are clearly Scottish I suggest whisky is more likely then whiskey. But Helen is right, you'll need it. Good luck. You'll need a lot of perseverance but don't give up. [​IMG] [​IMG] :D

[ 28. December 2007, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Sarraceniac ]

10. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Alasdair, don`t try to "build" the greenhouse, do it in sections. Try and work out the pieces for the differant sections, ie, side walls, front, back and roof. When you`ve done that put it together section by section. First one wall then the second then front and back. When you have these four sections put together then you can join them up ( don`t forget the door and vent). Then put the ridge in and the roof glazing bars. When putting the door and vent together make sure you build the glass into them, it easier than trying to add it later. If you are building it on a concrete slab, do not fix it down until it is glazed, you may need to square it up. When glazing, start with the four lower corners of the roof. The reason being that, if these four panes sit properly in the frame then the greenhouse is square. When it is square glaze the walls first and finish the roof last, you can leave the 4 original panes in the roof just don`t put the rest in before the walls because of the weight. I hope this is of some help.

11. Alasdair

Alasdair Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks david and john for your sound advice.

i will have to sort out the site first, remove drying poles and level off etc first.

will keep you informed

Alasdair

ps wife loves having the nominated driver

12. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Any further advice on which parts are which Alasdair just let me know. And being designated driver you do realise you will have to cover the entire country? Perhaps you should get advice from Santa. [​IMG] :D

13. Tipsy

Tipsy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Twelve months ago I was faced with the same dilema. The greenhouse I aquired was a Robinson greenhouse and on visiting their website I found a complete instruction manual which was brilliant.

May I suggest that you look at some of the greenhouse manufacturers websites who produce house like yours and they may have similar information available.

Failing that look at other greenhouses (there will be a lot) in nearby gardens and take a picture (from different angles if possible)these will prove invaluable when you come to errect.

May I suggest that you get a supply of new bolts as when you are trying to undo the old ones many will break

14. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    If you get any bolts that wont undo, rather than risk snapping them breifly heat them with a blow torch then slacken them off, the expansion and contraction caused by the heat is enough to ease them.

15. Alasdair

Alasdair Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the suggestions, will try and find a name on it, then get images of someone elses so i know what it should look like.

all the nuts and bolts are in a carrier bag with the glazing clips so they wont pose a problem.

Alasdair