greenhouse pests

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by blacksmith, Jun 24, 2012.

1. blacksmith

blacksmith Gardener

Ratings:
    +147
    Hi, I have just finished building my greenhouse and am growing, corn, tomatoes, cucumber and some cellery, but I keep reading about pests in greenhouses, would I expect a serious problems if I stick to growing vegetables and an unheated greenhouse.

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Giving it a good clean in the autumn I use a cap full of bleach in the water brings the glass up and kills all the algie growth keeps on top of it, only had to fumigate once bad infestaition of red spider mite but did have a lot of hibiscus and cucumbers that year.

Unheated I would imagine you would have less problems

Spruce

3. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,862
    Well I usually only grow tomoatoes, cucumbers and peppers in mine and the worst I've had was a small amount of white fly, easily sorted.
    I've also only cleaned my greenhouse once in 5 years with Jeyes fluid. Not doing that again as it smells disgusting!

4. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Actually, I quite like the smell:)

Not sure about growing Sweetcorn in a greenhouse though?

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,979
      You shouldn't have any serious problems blacksmith. I always get mildew problems towards the end of the tomato season. But just clear them out in October (for example) then follow on with a few lettuce - you won't find much else will grow over winter in an unheated greenhouse.

I agree with Freddy, growing (sweet?) corn could be a problem in a greenhouse, they do get very tall and also they rely on the wind to pollinate them. They would do better outdoors to be honest.

• Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
      +225
      I've still got my pest - and I think it's a mouse! Out of 24 healthy tomato plants, I've only got eight left. And that's after it demolished the broccolli and cauliflower seedlings.

I've set a humane trap, baited with peanut butter, but now sign of the little varmint yet.

The surviving toms are now on a table and, fingers crossed, are so far unscathed. I want to transplant them into growbags but daren't yet. Little insects are the least of my problems!:gaah:

• blacksmith

blacksmith Gardener

Ratings:
      +147
      We live and learn, I thought corn was from hotter countries so would do better under glass, guess I was wrong, I shall plant outside next year.

Thank you all for the advice on pests.

• Boghopper

Boghopper Gardener

Ratings:
      +225
      Well the mouse/shrew is caught. Sadly, although I used a humane trap, I didn't get to him in time and he is no more.
      Poor little mite, I hadn't wanted that fate for him, despite the damage he did. Just didn't check the trap soon enough.:cry3:

• chitting kaz

chitting kaz Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,616
      :oopss:

• Like Like x 1
      • gill75

gill75 Gardener

Ratings:
        +19
        Hi I grew several swift sweetcorn in a large tub in the greenhouse last year but shifted it outside just before it was too tall and it did well. I did have a few nats invade the too of then before I moved it but once outside disappeared. I have planted sundance the same way this year so hoping it does well too. We have high winds here so it just gets damaged if I put it out too early. Speaking of bugs/nats I read somewhere that putting sand round my peppers and other plants prevents nats etc laying eggs in the soil, does anyone know if this is true please? Thanks

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,352

I I think any barrier of sand gravel will help with Gnats , in all my shrub pots I use a gravel a good inch deep which stops the vine weevils , used this one begonia pots as well and works 99% off the time , plus it help them from toppling over

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • gill75

gill75 Gardener

Ratings:
          +19
          Thanks I put in sand and it seems to be working