greenhouse question

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by ashlett, Feb 6, 2011.

1. ashlett

ashlett Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This year I lined my greenhouse with bubble plastic thinking that it would help keep things warmer. I have lost all my geraniums to grey mould!! Advice for next year please.:what:

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ashlett,

Fungicide & a greenhouse heater, if were going to get another -20.

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Ashlett. I have a similar problem - not just with Geraniums.

I think the cause is condensation, high humidity and lack of movement of air. I put plants inside after the weather has broken and it starts to get cold. They have usually been outside and got very wet from the autumn rains. So I put a huge amount of water (in the soil) into the greenhouse. I find early in winter there is very heavy condensation in the greenhouse, which gets less as winter goes by and the pots dry out. Its essential to remove the condensation regularly by wiping it off the walls and ceiling. Also leave the door open as often as you can on warmer days.

A further point is that mould generally grows on dead material. So remove all the dead leaves and flowers etc. I also keep my greenhouse frost free with an electric heater, which as Ziggy says helps. But what ever else you do - you must get all that moisture and condensation out.