Greenhouse tomatos

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by holttum, Aug 11, 2010.

1. holttum

holttum Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

My tomatos are very good this year but slow in ripening like everybody elses,
    why are they splitting i have had only a couple that have not split the worst are Shirley,i only water them at the roots and do not spay water on to the rest of the plant,any ideas would be welcomed and thanks you for reading this thread

regards Holttum

2. Pete02

Pete02 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Holttum, I don't know what causes tomatoes to split, I only had a couple split
    in the greenhouse, I've been keeping them well watered, they have been drying out
    quickly in the high temperatures we were getting a while back, so I was watering
    up to 3 times a day. I'm sure somebody will be able to tell us where the problem lies??.

Pete

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Irregular watering causes splitting of tomato fruit. It sounds like you are not giving them enough Holttum.

4. holttum

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pete & john

I don`t know enough about gardening to argue but i have used growbags with large pots and have watered these morning and night without missing a session now if you had said it was the heat and humidity i would have agreed,i have always grown my tomatos outside and last year i lost them all when it rained after a long spell of dryness so i can see how they crack in that situation but i have made sure no water touched the tomatos this year for that reason,so i can`t really see how lack of water could be the cause,you are possibly right John as i know very little and as pete said he watered three times a day,thanks for taking the time to read and anwser my question

regards holttum

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I'm quite certain it's lack of water holttum, if you underwater the fruit's skins can't expand enough when you do give them a bit more, hence they crack. They take all their water up from their root system, watering the leaves or fruit makes no difference. However it is a good idea not to splash their leaves/fruit as it encourages fungal diseases.

6. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    The most common cause of splitting is irregular watering. Aim to keep the compost moist at all times and never let it dry out.

7. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,094
    :) Tomatoes should not need watering three times a day or even twice in my opinion,if you water them once well in the evening should be suffice.

8. Pete02

Pete02 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Roders, I don't normally water 3 times a day, I only did that during the very hot weather we had because the compost was drying out very fast in the heat of the greenhouse.

I hope your tomatoes fare better next year Holttum

Pete

9. holttum

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks all for your help,this is what i like about gardening its never equal,what you do this year will not be the same next year and it does not matter how much you read about it everybodies garden or plot is different ,i except that next year i must not water to much or to little,i`m trying to cram to much into to little time,after spending 40 years of not even going into the garden im going to learn the hard way as my mistakes are many,the bighest one is to think what i did last year will be ok for this year and it never is, and planting things to close together which is one of the hardest thing to learn,thanks for all the help

regards holttum