Greenhouses and Cats

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Steve R, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Anyone had any trouble with cats climbing onto the roof and jumping onto and off them? Anyone suffered with this?

I have three cats and I worry if they will be climbing on it.

Steve...:)

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +123,162
    Hi Steve,

Our greenhouse is made of wood which should be easier for cats to climb but we have never had any trouble with them climbing it. They climb the fences, the pergola and, when we had wooden sheds, they climbed to the roof of the sheds. Do your cats climb on to your shed?

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Our little terrorcat has been seen on the ridge tiles of the bungalow over the road, and survives to this day.
    I know this does not help much with your issue Steve. But it just goes to show how far they wil go.

4. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Neighbours cats walk along the fence at the back of the Ghouse Steve but ive never seen them on the roof, Cats arent Daft they know they can't grip on glass, and they also know its lovely and warm inside, especially if there's fleece about k-l

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,416
    Don't think you need to worry Steve, I've never seen them get on my greenhouses, they do like to get inside if I forget to close it though - and love digging up my seedlings or using it as a toilet. In warm weather when the doors open all the time I put a mesh frame across the opening to keep them out.

6. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Hi Steve, we have a shed that is long enough to be half shed and half greenhouse with a part sloping polycarbonate roof on the greenhouse part and the shed part has felt on it's roof.

I often find that when I am working in the greenhouse that my two cats and the stray one that comes visiting will either walk up and down the roof or they sit on the end nearest the door where they can view the garden to see if there is any birdlife worth going after.When they get bored,they walk to the edge of the greenhouse roof and jump down onto the top of the fence and then proceed to either jump from the six foot height straight onto the ground or else they scramble down my mini greenhouses that I have standing against the fence.

I have only had this problem since having this shed/greenhouse and never had the cats climb up onto my proper glass greenhouse where we used to live.

I have found that if I try to stop them going onto the roof they just seem to do it all the more

Hope this info helps:)

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    If you can get enough cats onto your greenhouse roof you will not need to worry about shading in summer also they will be good insulation in winter,just don't forget to feed them now and again.:D

8. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,537
    [​IMG]

This is Phantom, he is about 4 years old now, weighs in at 17 lbs. He climbs up a tree next to the garage and jumps from the tree to the garage roof you see. Then there is another garage next to it, 6 feet apart. His favorite thing to do is run around on the roof and also jump the 6 foot span to the second garage and run on that. On the other side of the second garage we have a wood pile, which he uses sometimes to get off the 2nd garage. Or he will just hop on the tree again and shimmy down. He does love to run amuck around the property, in a very joyful stride.
    One day, I hope to catch a picture or video of that 6 foot jump he does.
    By the way he is a well muscled 17 lb. cat.

Do I worry, not in the least.

9. Murphy

Murphy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Call that big? I could take him any day!

10. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Ratings:
    +11,537
    Yea Murphy, even the unfixed males who happen by my yard belly up to me, HA --they know better. Looks like your a home body woos. from Phantom

11. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Yes our cats climb..onto the shed roof and from there onto the roof of our bungalow. I just wondered if I should be concerned about our cats "going through" one of the greenhouse glass panes.

Steve...:)

12. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Ratings:
    +11,537
    If your greenhouse glass panes can weather a tree small tree limb from falling on it, or a good storm, they will most likely survive a cat.