Grey Squirrels (Tree Rats)

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Larkshall, May 3, 2007.

1. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    If you have problems with these, there is only one way to deal with them. Firstly they are vermin and it is an offence to let them go once they are trapped.

Wire cage traps are very effective, but then comes the question of disposal. I use an air rifle to dispatch them. They can then be buried in a piece of spare ground.

http://www.erowell.co.uk/Wildlife-HTML/021greysquirrel.htm

Just an experiment in posting a pictue

2. Jack by the hedge

Jack by the hedge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    They are treated more like outdoor pets around my way and various neighbours feed them with chocolate biscuits, peanuts etc.; I have been known to throw a nut or two their way myself.
    The main problem they cause seems to be raking over pots in order to bury their food. I have heard of no reports of them getting into lofts and damaging ceilings..yet!
    What's the punishment for letting trapped squirrels go, I wonder? Are the chocolate biscuit-feeders in danger of prosecution also?

3. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Ah, leave them alone. We take the g-children down to Boscombe gardens and feed them by hand. They're indigineous now. It's a long time since we used to get a sixpence (2 1/2 pence) for a dead grey's tail, all the best

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Mmmmmm - grey squirels are not my favourite pest, especially since one decided to enter my loft. The damage it did before being trapped was fortunately to a non essential timber that was only supporting one tile. But they can be a real danger.

5. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    That's interesting, Fran.I've never heard of them getting into lofts but I canunderstand why you don't like them, all the best

6. Jack by the hedge

Jack by the hedge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Obviously not a "Coronation Street" devotee, then, cajary!
    I have a friend who had them in his loft where they caused some damage. When he 'phoned his insurance company to make a claim they asked if red or grey squirrels had caused the damage. He answered grey and was informed that they would only pay out if the "reds" had been responsible.
    Seems like the insurance companies are operating their own form of "colour discrimination"!

7. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I was advised by the pest control person, that they enter lofts to access both warmth and water (from the tank) during the winter. Tis not unusual, but they are very destructived. If they nest, then its a nightmare - fortunately I did not have a nest, just a one individual.

8. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Absolutely right, Jack. When the "Soaps" come on I play with the computer. Unlikel;y to grt much damage from "Reds", they live on Brownsea Isloand, all the best, sorry about the spelling Caitlyn, my g-daughter is sitting on my lap!