Ground Cover ??

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by IckleWeed, Sep 19, 2005.

1. IckleWeed

IckleWeed Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Another busy weekend over with and I'm quite chuffed with the results so far, as can be seen on the following link for those who have the utmost in patience :-

The story so far!

I would like to get some decent ground cover plants for the future repression of weeds but they must be fairly hardy against the attacks of a rabbit. Anyone have any idea's please? :cool:

2. sam k

sam k Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You have been busy :D
    Oh boy rabbits..they have eaten some lovely plants in a garden I have worked on :mad:
    ground cover that they seem to dislike are vinca periwinkle, bergenia, pulmonaria, salvia, sedum. tried and tested :D

3. sewer rat

sewer rat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about how rabbit proof it is, but it covers the ground quickly - ajuga reptans (common name is bugle). Leaves are usually described as dark green with occassional purple hints but mine are definitely purple, and produce a mass of small bright blue spikes every spring without fail. Easy to transplant - just rip a chunk up and replant it where you need it - will definitely suppress all annual weeds

4. sewer rat

sewer rat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought, when you say "attacks of a rabbit" - are you talking by any chance about a pet rabbit ?

5. IckleWeed

IckleWeed Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the quick replies, yes, the rabbit is a pet, I lost her for 4 hours a few days ago. The wind had blown the garden gate open and when I returned home, couldnt find her anywhere. After trawling the streets, putting ads in the local vets and newsagents... I finally found her snuggled up in the living room. She'd got a bit chilly and used the cat-flap !!!

Great advice on the bugle, vinca periwinkle, bergenia, pulmonaria, salvia and sedum ... I shall certainly give them a good look at the GC

Many Thanks

The shed went up today, the decking is on the list for tomorrow....

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Be careful with periwinkle - great ground cover but a a real thug - by that I mean it spreads by runner under ground and keeping it in bounds, or getting rid of it can be a bit of a pain.

7. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. IckleWeed

IckleWeed Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the warning Fran, I'll bear that in mind.

When we moved here 4 years ago, the whole place, garage, fences and lawn were inundated with ivy... took me ages to clear it so dont want to go there again

9. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    My neighbour planted periwinkle as ground cover before removing and turning front garden into a car park - and now I can't get rid of it.