Ground elder problem

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Nigelcharge, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Nigelcharge

Nigelcharge Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We moved into flat last November. Garden had a bit of grass then went to bare earth. No we have masses of ground elder growing in the bare earth but luckily non in grass. I want to turf that part of garden eventually and round borders put wood chip or gravel. Now heres my plan but will it work. Mass spraying, when weather gets better, now when they die back can I just lay weed covering in borders then chips/gravel and will that stop then coming back in that part. For lawn area, would I be better laying black weed covering till next year and then lay turf, dont want to lay turf end of this year if better to leave. I know there is no short term solution for ground elder, but dont fancy having to dig 2/3 foot down after spraying to clear..
    Sorry bit long winded thread.
    Thanks

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner :sign0016:

If you spray with a systemic weed killer it should go right thru the plants, roots and all.

Wait till it's actively growing though and do it on a dry day, might pay to repeat spray in a week or two after as well :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,881
      I agree with Zigs, spray with Glyphosate. In two weeks you will be able to dig and turf the area. No need to wait until next year.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +15,303
      I'd add:- Buy concentrate and mix your own solution of glyphosate. The ready-mixed stuff is over diluted and you'll need a strong solution to kill all the roots of ground elder in one application. I wouldn't dig, either. If by any chance the roots aren't dead, you'll only break them up and spread the problem about!

• Agree Agree x 1