ground ivy - easiest way to remove?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by TheMadHedger, Jan 15, 2024.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +246
    I have a relatively small patch of lawn that's been taken over by ground ivy, what's the easiest way to remove this?

I've started pulling it up but the damn stuff snaps meaning that I need to dig up the roots.

Is there a 'wildlife friendly' weedkiller that I could use, also bearing in mind that in the Spring I plan to sow some wildflower seeds on that area?

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,291
    Would have thought a selective lawn weedkiller would have cleared it up ? eg Weedol though unlike the watering can with a rose method, be wary of the ready to use hand spray bottles as applying too much does burn the surrounding grass.

Not tried it on a lawn but SBK seems very effective on deep rooted weeds and its stated on the bottle that it does not affect grass, though have never proved the point.

You will have to look at whatever product you choose to see how persistent it is if looking to sow seeds soon.

There are still some Gylphosate around which are not persistent, but it means you have to manually apply it to the actual weeds avoiding getting it on the grass.

3. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +246
    Thanks for the advice, I'll look into those.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    Might be best to start again with the area,I find the stronger glyphosate kills ivy but you would perhaps have to wait until April or May to apply it.
    I don't think you can just sow wild flower seeds in an old lawn without first disturbing the ground at least.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,040
      Isn't that ground elder?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
        +246
        Thanks but no, it's just your normal looking ivy.