Growhouse newbie. Advice on shade net, thermometer, venting, etc.

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by L5730, Apr 5, 2024.

1. L5730

L5730 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello all,
    This is my first post here, was a member of GW until it closed down. Thanks to the "Fat Controller" for registering me during these technical hiccups.

Last year I bought an Access Midi Growhouse FB4 - the 4ft (1.2m) wide, 2ft (0.65m) deep, 3ft 10in. (1.17m) tall one.
    Space constraints meant I couldn't really get the taller full height growhouse, which has more accessories available after the fact. A real walk-in greenhouse was/is not an option.
    I've screwed together some old wooden fence posts into a base frame and bolted the growhouse onto it. It sits on 20mm+ granite gravel and is sturdy.
    It is situated against a South-facing wall, but there is a 6ft neighbours fence ~8ft away. In Winter an old Oak tree blocks quite a lot of sun from directly South, as well as roofs keeping the sun off anything but the very top of the growhouse. The sun is plenty high enough right now to hit most of the bottom area!

Waffle...
    I'm not writing a review of the product, but I will say it was nice for the company to communicate well, and deliver a product that all lines up square and fits together properly. I've had so many dodgy things that bolt together and require so much work to make them fit. This was nice.

We lost a Fuschia Gartenmeister due to mouldy stuff growing on it. I cut all of the junk off, but it's just dead twigs, no sign of leaves.
    Saxifrage x Arendsii that I accidentally pulled out when clearing the dead flower stems have started growing and flowering.
    Red Robin cuttings from last Summer don't look to healthy.
    Chucked in the root of a supermarket Celery in a small pot of water. Repoted into compost and it's now ~20-30cm tall and smells lovely.

I've now realised just how warm the thing gets inside. Slid a panel open a little and there is bucket loads of heat coming out when it is a sunny day.
    I think I need to invest in some shade netting and some other accessories.

Unfortunately, this model of growhouse doesn't have an option for automatic louvre vents. I haven't contacted the company to see if one can be made, but none seems available in this size (replaces 910x610mm glass panel).
    It would be nice if I could get something to handle auto venting, but it's going to have to be some janky DIY job I fear.

I've a sheet of hardboard acting a sun shield at the bottom. Sat on two thin bits of gravel to keep it off any wet wood. Kind works, although clunky.

I should probably get a min/max thermometer, some shade netting, fabricate some shelving/stands.

Questions/Advice seeking...
    What netting would be advisable? Inside or outside? It's an odd size and I read that cutting down some makes it fray and would require a lot of sewing work (not the seed in pot kind!).

A Min/Max thermometer would probably be sensible to give a clue just how extreme things get. I guess these are all battery powered. I'd have expected them to be at least splash proof. Can they be put in a plastic baggy?

Any kind of louvre system or auto venting possible, or is this just going to a case of seeing what I can assemble and show-horn in?

Apologies for the kind of "hey, do the thinking for me" kind of post, I have searched, perhaps not so well. Not really finding easy and simple solutions.
    Happy to provide more information should ya'll need it. Perhaps I should show some pictures too?

Thanks for reading.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
      Ratings:
      +4,816
      Hi @L5730 are there any panels with hinges? If so, it might be worth getting a Bayliss auto unit and just screw it on. Then at least you'll get some ventilation automatically

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +91,679
        You can buy normal manual Max/Min thermometers, you dont have to go techy if you dont want to.

Its a small space so will heat up very fast in sunshine if its in full sun I would have the door open on most days.

Have you got a link to what it looks like or a picture .

• Pete8

Pete8 Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +1,021
        If you have any old net curtains, they're great for providing shade.
        A cheap alternative is builders Scaffold Netting.
        Much easier to hang it on the outside using bamboo canes cut to length and attached to the netting.
        Fraying isn't really a problem with either for a long time.

You can buy greenhouse shade paint that works well, but then it's shaded all the time.
        The paint is made so it brushes off easily at the end of the season.

I completely agree with Pete - it will roast inside when the sun is out, so keep doors open as much as possible.
        The shading will prevent your plants leaves getting scorched.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,287
          Such a small south facing greenhouse will become an oven in the summer months so would suggest you remove all plants from it from June onwards, you will never be able to control things in strong sunshine imho.

For now and the rest of the year you can use this type of shading cloth, the 45% might need two layers , so the 85% might be better, placed on the outside of the glass.
          It cuts easily with sissors and does not need stitching or anything, as said use a piece of wood etc stapled or tied to the bottom edge to hold it down / roll it up with.
          Shade Netting - Elixir Garden Supplies

For MinMax there are many different ones from manual to remote, the choice is yours.
          Just check the wireless ones will work for you, too many thick walls and the signal can be lost.

002005.jpg 002006.jpg 002007.jpg

• amancalledgeorge

amancalledgeorge Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +895
          I disagree, have a slightly larger one and have been using this 50% shade cloth with the doors half open and all my plants have remained in without any issues. I just use a really basic electronic thermometer just to keep track of highs and lows and does the job... don't see the point of any more expense for such a small growing space.

• infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
          Ratings:
          +1,148
          Are you out during the day (so not at hand to regulate opening) ? Have looked at the advert which shows sliding front door and lift out roof glass .
          www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3MgF4YY2_4
          Suggest you make a simple frame to fit the sliding opening and attach fly screen netting for the hotter days. You might make a similar frame to fit the roof but risk of glass blowing out.

• Stephen Southwest

Stephen Southwest Gardener

Ratings:
          +109
          I installed bayliss auto openers in my old greenhouses - I highly recommend doing so - they're brilliant!

• Butterfly6

Butterfly6 Gardener

Keeping busy
          Ratings:
          +562
          Unless your on hand to respond to temperature readings sent via Wi-Fi, a simple max min thermometer is probably sufficient and will soon give you a feel for what temps are likely to be.

I haven’t found that there’s a need to constantly adjust the ventilation in my GH on a daily basis once you get past early Spring. My GH is in full sun and I usually have all my manual vents open permanently from around mid May. The door is also open all day. I also usually have the roof blinds (west facing side) down almost permanently from Mid June, only going back up if we have a very cool, week.

Automatic vents are great so would install some if you can. I would definitely agree with the suggestions to create some sort of roof netting screens. Don’t put the screening on the inside, although easier it’s better to screen and stop some of the heat getting in. Too late on once it’s through the glass.

• Goldenlily26

Goldenlily26 Super Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +1,638
          I have an old, free on Freecycle, basic 6x8 aluminium framed greenhouse, in full sun. I have used old net curtains as shading, as well as an old duvet cover, draped over the outside of the greenhouse tied down to the corners of the frame. The roof light handle is missing so I have wrapped a dahlia stake in a length of pipe foam insulting piping which I lay across the window opening close to the hinge at the apex, to prop the window open permanently from April onwards, the door is fully open from April onwards. A bit Heath Robinson but I have never had any problems with overheating, scorch etc. There is easy access for pollinators to come and go, the cat can use it as her personal inside/outside boudoir, chair provided, and good air circulation.
          I use it to harden off young seedlings, germinated in the conservatory, before planting out then fill it with tomatoes, cucumbers, gherkins and to grow on cuttings. The main frame is fixed to brieze blocks with a earth centre. I have put down a double layer of weed matting and a central path of half size paving slabs all of which I lift and clean under each year, as well as removing errant weeds which crawl under the base frame, I usually put down slug pellets around the edge at the beginning of the season. I wash the whole of the greenhouse down with diluted Jeyes Fluid, using a soft broom, hose it off and I am ready to go.
          Cheap and cheerful.
          I know there are a lot of gardeners who jump up and down about people like me using Jeyes Fluid, slug pellets and also glyphosate weed killer, we all have a choice to make and I have made mine. Each to his/her own.

• Like Like x 1
          • AnniD

AnniD Gardener

Ratings:
            +482
            I agree about using old net curtains as shading, I have one in my greenhouse at the moment protecting seedlings .
            As someone with a greenhouse that also gets full sun, l can just imagine the temperatures in a small space like that. You can also buy "paint on" greenhouse shading which can be washed or peeled off at the end of the season.

What do you plan to use it for ? I see you have photinia cuttings etc at present, is that the main type of thing ?
            Don't worry about other people "doing the thinking for you", that's what forums like this are all about. Heaven knows where l'd be if people didn't help me out :smile:.

• L5730

Ratings:
            +5
            Thank you all for the replies and helpful comments, suggestions and links.

This is the product I have:
            can't link the "Access Midi Growhouse" < (search that) due to forum rules for new users - understandable spam prevention methods.

Photos of my own will come in due course.

I have dealt with Elixir Garden Supplies before, I don't know why, but I didn't see a 4ft side sun shade netting option before. That makes a lot of sense.
            How to quite attach it will be some ingenuity and MacGyvering.

I hadn't considered that putting such netting on the inside of a space would act as a heat sponge and radiator. Simple thermal physics. Putting it on the outside makes much better sense for it's purpose.

I think it might be good to cover a West facing window in this netting, so am looking at ways to secure that. Fed up drawing curtains and warming up the room - see last paragraph - why didn't that occur to me !?!

Indeed, temperatures are going to soar as the sun gets higher and cloud cover reduces.
            It's already plenty warn during the day.
            Unfortunately I am not always home, there are other members of family at home but many other preoccupations (medical related) and so can't always be relied upon to open/close doors (low priority in the big scheme of things).

An auto vent would be quite a good option, but once the frost risk has passed (May), I think a couple of ceramic/terracotta pots might do a good enough job of thermal regulation for the evening - if even necessary.

I've looked at analogue liquid type Min/Max thermometers on Bezozon and reviews aren't great. It might just be worth the AA battery and going digital. Honestly, with such a small space I don't think WiFi enabled datalogging is something necessary. PCs are off at night anyway. Yes, I could put the RPi3B top use, but meh. More trouble than it's worth - just a clue as to how things are would be adequate.

What this growhouse is used for is one of the real things that will dictate how much investment I need to make.

• Somewhere to keep early (April) purchased bedding plants from the plant shops, protected from frost.

• To help cuttings along:
            I have Taxus/Yew cuttings, Photinia Red Robin, Saxifrage x Arendsii (easy), some Mint varieties from the supermarket, a Celery grown from supermarket bought produce, the left over root bit left in water, and Euonymus. There is some Tsuga Canadensis Fantana (conifer, Hemlock) cuttings but have no bets on them from what I have read. I've like to grow Star Jasmine cuttings, Ivy and other general garden bits. Some stuff like Euonymus Forunei Emerald 'n' Gold was a doddle to grow just in the shade without such an enclosed space.

• Winter protection for sensitive plants like Fuschia Gartenmeister(?) the orangey flowering one sold as a cheap bedding plant. Looked really nice, but died off and got mould on it (removed). I see no signs of life on those dry twigs. Not a huge space, so can't go crazy shoving everything in there.

Again, thanks for all of the helpful pointers, hints and links and ideas. Much appreciated.
            (edit: typo)

• Like Like x 1
              Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,287
              @L5730 thats why we were wondering what you would be wanting to grow in there over the peak summer months when controlling the temperature in such a small space would be very problematic.
              Surely most plants in peak summer should be outside, unless you are somewhere like northern Scotland ? Cutting etc should be somewhere cooler and shadier.

For the rest of the year, probably the shade netting is the simplest and cheapest answer.

A bottom tray of gravel regularly filled with water will help keep it cooler on a hot day.

You may be surprised how hight the temperature can get, even today we registed 32c in ours, plenty of vents but no shading up yet, though some soon as it can easily reach 40c !

Re that green shading, very easy to fit, you just need a couple of strips of treated wood, say 25x34mm eg wickes/b&q, attach the top of the netting to one piece of wood, typically with some staples or tacs and then tie with string/wire or screw to the top of the greenhouse or back wall, the weight of the other piece of wood on the bottom will hold it down but allow you to roll it back up.

hth

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
              Ratings:
              +4,198
              I have a small growhouse -it's larger than the one you have - and it still gets very hot in summer, despite our temps here being nothing like the south of England etc, but it isn't frost free by any means over winter. I rigged up one of those blue plastic tarpaulin thingies on mine last year, using screw in hooks. The tarp has eyelets, so it was quite easy to do. Doors open, and 'lid', and that screen in place. That was ideal for the hottest spells.
              I only use mine for toms in summer, and before that it's just for hardy seedlings, starting off dahlias, or for over wintering cuttings. These small gr'houses get too cold and damp from autumn onwards here, and that's the problem with a small space - good air flow. That's what will have happened with your fuchsia.
              There's no need for things like that Euonymous or the Saxifrage to be undercover at any time, or any conifer. Small plants like those just need tucked in somewhere outside - house wall, under a table or something similar. :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • L5730

Ratings:
                +5
                There is an image for anyone curious. That sheet of hardboard is just a dirty sunshade for little thin cheap plastic seed tray with some yew cuttings in.
                I've zip-tied some green plastic rigid net/screen to the shelves to fill the gap and stop stuff dropping through. I intend to make aluminium or some clear plastic shelf plates eventually.

I wouldn't mind growing tomatoes in the Summer, it seem like this is one of the main purposes.
                That's a shame to read that it is likely too small a space for proper frost protection, admittedly we don't have it as cold here on the Southish-East.
                Airflow... well, hmm, it's too tiny a space for that.
                The Fuchsia had already wilted a bit before it went in the growhouse. Didn't properly follow water-weaning advice either so that's why it got a bit mouldy. The lack of airflow also contributes mould.

Euonymus was only in there because it was somewhere I could control the amount of water. It rained a lot this year (apparently no hose pipe ban in Anglia Water region as it was so wet).

Mint will likely live on the windowsill as it makes most sense there and some is doing extremely well just in a jar of water. Celery probably doesn't need any protection beyond getting started, that will probably benefit from not being so hot and humid.

I'm going to order some netting today and see what I can fashion together. Great ideas and suggestions here on just how to attach. Will see how I go when it arrives.
                I gotta do something about the sides too, as they are only ~60cm wide. Free post from Elixir though, so I can look at the netting and think with it in my hands.

Is capillary matting something worth considering? Or is this just not worth anything in such a space?

Petunias, Calibrachoas and Salvias and the like are probably going to be available soon. If I go out and grab some early, there is a risk of frost until the second week of May or so. Worth chucking them in the growhouse in the evening or on cold days?

Growhouse.jpg

• Like Like x 1