Growing a clematis through a fir tree

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by newdigger, Aug 30, 2008.

1. newdigger

newdigger Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I have been given a beautiful clematis for my birthday, The President. It grows to 10 feet and thrives in sun or shade. I would like to grow it up/through my fir tree in my front garden as I have seen other trees 'decorated' with clematis. My question is, until it has become established and started to grow through the tree, where should I plant it exactly? Can I plant it near the trunk of the fir tree, or should I site it nearer the outer branches so it gets a little light? Obviously I will have to water it well because the tree takes most of the moisture. Any advice would be gratefully received, thank you.

2. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,490
    Plant where it can get the most light, it like direct sun.

3. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    close to the base of the trunk but not right next to it. Improve the soil, cover the rootball area well and place a stone or bit of slate over keep it watered until it establishes.

Canes and ties to encouradge it up the trunk. Imo trees/ shrubs are the perfect backdrop for clematis.

4. newdigger

newdigger Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks. I can't wait until next year to (hopefully) see some of the beautiful blooms poking through the tree.