Growing Alstoemerias in pots

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by bjayb1943, Oct 28, 2011.

1. bjayb1943

bjayb1943 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone please give me some advise on how to grow Altroemeria corms in pots?

I have 10 corms ready to pot up, but have no idea WHEN or HOW they should be planted. The sort I have grow to appox 60cms high.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    BJAYB

:scratch:

2. Louise D

Louise D Head Gardener

Medical.
    Ratings:
    +502
    I grow dozens of them here, have done for a few years now, but all in the ground, various types/heights/colours.

If it's ultimate height says 60cm expect at least that and they'll want to spread so make the pots diameter and depth about 2' each way - they've very strong root systems so a smaller pot will be outgrown quickly.

Potted plants will suffer from frost far more easily than plants with their roots tucked up warmly in the ground so be aware of the temps - the plants themselves are as tough as old boots and will withstand minus 12 with no trouble at all.

Drainage needs to be very good with these plants or the fleshy roots will rot easily.

As for the corms - i've only ever grown these plants from an already formed root so lets hope that another member can take over from here.
    I know that their roots shouldn't be too deep, but, not too shallow either.

• Like Like x 1