Growing basil under the sea

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by clueless1, Oct 10, 2016.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I became aware of this just now watching Food Unwrapped on telly. So I looked it up on YouTube so I can show you good lot.

Basically, so need clever young chap has crowd funded a bit of a novel project. He has developed a way to grow food under the sea. Normal land based crops. His system is completely pest free and immune to weather. He doesn't need to water the crops at all either.

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hmm, normal crops???............taken with a pinch of salt??:dunno::heehee:.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      Can you imagine trying to grow basil under the North Sea.:biggrin:

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      I don't think Basil would like it.:nonofinger::heehee:
      [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
      • clueless1

Ratings:
        +19,596
        We don't need to. We have an abundance of good growing land. That's why we've been invaded so many times.

This chap has devised a way of producing food in the many areas of the world where there is good sunshine, and the sea, but a shortage of good growing land and fresh water. His system doesn't place any pressure on the drinking water supply. No irrigation. No pesticides. And two thirds of the world are covered in ocean. If he or others can take this concept and scale it up, that will make an enormous difference in the world.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +122,455
          What about tidal waves, tsunamis, tempests and hurricanes (and, probably, many other adverse weather conditions) as a lot of the areas that would need it would be in those areas. Bangladesh comes to mind as it regularly gets flooded, and some of the smaller island states in the Indonesian, Malaysian and Melanesia.

• clueless1

Ratings:
          +19,596
          The gardens look like anchored diving bells. I reckon it would take some huge and unusual forces to destroy them.

For sure, the sea develops some of the most awesome forces seen on earth, but the gardens would surely just move with the forces as they're not on rigid structures as far as I can see.

Besides, it's just proof of concept for now. This is one small group of people with crowd funding to pursue an idea. If you get a proper team of engineers on it with proper funding, I reckon they could come up with something amazing.

• Informative Informative x 1