Growing Brassicas

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Paul Blackburn, Feb 28, 2023.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I want to start growing my cabbages.kale,cauliflower for example but according to the instructiona on the seeds packets the they should be sown in March so would it be ok to plant the seeds now in my unheated greenhouse.I use heated trays for things like chillies's Tomatoes etc which are on a shelf in my big shed.Thanks

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,664
    Good morning @Paul Blackburn as far as I am aware February is just fine in the unheated greenhouse /March for sowing outside, I often sow my brassica seeds in February in my unheated greenhouse, I sowed some January Kings last October and they are doing fine;):smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,076
      I'd treat them slightly different to tomatoes and chillies.
      Ok to give them some heat during germination but after that they need to be much cooler.
      But having said that frost free, still possible to get frost in a cold greenhouse for the next month or so.
      They will also need full light, so depends on how much light you get in your shed.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +22,571
        When I sow my brassica and leek seed for next winter the pots will simply go onto some staging outside where I can keep an eye on them.
        If you have a bit of space you could sow direct into a nursery bed: make a shallow drill, sow seed fairly close together, cover over with soil water if dry, when plants are big enough lift and plant out in final positions.
        All brassicas used to be done like this, even commercially, until the 90's when there was a move to growing in modules. Nowdays it's all done in large glasshouses.
        Why the change?
        1) Modern seed, F1, F2 is expensive.
        2) Under cover there is more control of the environment and pests.
        3) Large parts of the process can be automated.
        4) Plants are available when required; for example grower can select varieties, submit dates he wants to plant out. Then seeds are sown x weeks before delivery, 90+% germination, allows n thosand plants to be available on schedule.
        5) Less shock to the plant compared to the old method, modern planters can plant the modules with little damage to the plant and few people.

• Like Like x 3
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,076
          Yeah, if you bought them "in" you could get a bundle of bare root cabbage plants, (general term:smile:), 25 or so for a shilling, piece of string and wet newspaper around the roots.:smile::smile:

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
            Ratings:
            +1,155
            Remember to protect outside plantings from pigeon attack, they love brassicaes and unless you are near farms with canola (rape), they will find them.

• wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +91,664
            Yes I remember one year I bought 50 bare root and they all turnrd out to be wallflowers:heehee::heehee::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 3
            • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +48,979
              I do three sowings of brassicas, the main one is mid March for summer harvest brassicas (cabbage and calabrese/broccoli). Then May/June for the autumn/winter harvest stuff like sprouts, purple sprouting and caulis and winter cabbages and more broccoli. Then July for spring greens and kale. Just to confuse I do a second batch of each of the above about a month later so as to spread the harvest out - (BTW: I only sow 6 seeds at a time and aim to plant 3 or 4 plants finally as they all take up lots of space).

• Like Like x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1