growing clematis montana up a tree

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by honeybunny, Jun 27, 2013.

1. honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,915
    do you think its a good idea? i've been trying to decide what to do with our Clematis Montana for ages now, it was an impulse buy quite a few years ago as i do love the look of them in full flower but we've not really anywhere to put something that vigorous :dunno: it's been living in a large-ish pot growing up a wigwam of bamboo canes ever since & i'd really like to get it in the ground...but where? we have a lovely Whitebeam Mountain Ash Tree so was kinda thinking of letting it grow up that but i know how vigorous Montana's can be & wouldn't want the tree to get swamped or look unsightly hmmm i dunno what to do :scratch: do you guys think growing Montanas up tree's is a good idea at all? where do you grow yours?

2. nFrost

nFrost Head Gardener

Leachate Treatment Plant Manager
    Ratings:
    +2,908
    My mother has a Montana that has been growing up a 30foot conifer for many years and also has an ivy growing up it. The conifer doesn't look bothered by it all.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +51,831
      I like the sound of that, as I have three conifers on one side, and one on another that I would love to see disappear.

• Like Like x 1
      • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,915
        hmm i hate being so undecided like this :doh: im just afraid of the Whitebeam being ruined and/or it looking a mess after a couple of years of the Montana growing wild up there...it'd be extremely difficult to prune im sure! it'd be different if the tree where an eye-sore but its not it beautiful :scratch:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        Those were my thoughts too reading your initial post.

Shed / garage it can rampage over? I think that (or a dead / useless / disliked tree) would be preferable.

• Like Like x 2
        • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,915
          your right its not worth the risk of potentially ruining the tree.

i don't think there is anywhere else that's be suitable tbh...well we do have a shed but nowhere to put it in the ground around there so it'd have to be a pot again...may have to resort to just a larger pot then after all.
          i don't know how im gonna break it to the Montana :cry3:

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +51,831
          I'm really tempted by a few of these - a couple in the back garden to use the theives conifers as climbing frames, and one in as big a pot as I can muster in the front garden to scale up the front of the outhouse, and maybe even up the side of the house?

I had high hopes for my passiflora to be taking on the outhouse this year, but its about as much good as an ashtray on a motorbike to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,838
            I'm growing a Clematis Armandii which is evergreen up into an Acer Brilliantissimum and a Clematis Montana into a Jasmine Hedge

Depends on what you mean by "prune" because if as you say...

then presumably you wouldn't want it in the tree at all. It that's the case then all pruning is is to cut down to two or three good shoots and remove the plant to another location. The remaining stems will not stand out when the tree is in foliage and will drop off over a year or two.:snork:

• Like Like x 1
            • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,915
              we actually have two Clematis growing up/through two decent sized Cotoneaster's on either side of the garden (a miss Bateman & im sure the other ones is "Royal" 'something or other') but they're not tall tree's! both are easily reachable & are pruned regularly & anyway they're not crazy vigorous like Montana. i love how they look growing through the Cotoneasters, the way you almost wouldn't know they were there other than the few leaves peeping out here & there..until they flower then as if from nowhere the flowers push themselves out to the forefront :imphrt: ideally i'd love the Montana to behave the same way clambering unobtrusively through the Whitebeam only really showing itself when it's flowering but the more i think about it the more i don't think that'll happen, knowing my luck it'll zoom up/through the tree & in a couple of years time it'll have taken over completely, smothered my beloved tree & hang down in big messy clump....my goodness im getting palpitations at the thought! :runforhills:

oh well back to the drawing board for Miss Montana :yawn:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,838
              To be honest, honeybunny, I think you're being a bit hasty and it would be a shame if you let your fears stop you from experimenting. Lets face it gardening is all about trying things out and seeing what works and what doesn't.:dunno: Putting a Clematis Montana into the tree is, to me, worth trying. The Clematis is easily controlled if you keep an eye on it and prune an errant stem from going where you don't want to. It's no different than gardeners putting a Rambler or Climbing Rose into a tree and we've seen some beautiful examples of success regarding that and a Rose will be a lot harder, and more prickly:gaah:, to remove should you want to. Plus there are other less rampant Clematis out there you could still use if you wanted to.:snork:

• Like Like x 1
              • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,915
                perhaps your right Armandii, i really should take more risks...i've always been terrible for doubting myself, i have a good idea...then promptly talk myself out of said good idea but i do sometimes manage to talk myself back around again, eventually, its just that i can be quite stubborn at times & never more so than when im arguing with myself :nonofinger: :rofllol:

• Like Like x 1
                • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                  +12,668
                  Sounds like you Montana is going to get chucked if you don't find a home for it - so it might as well have a go up the tree. Worst that can happen is that it then gets the chop.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                    +100,838
                    If you don't do it, honeybunny, you'll always wonder "what if.......":dunno::snork:

See, I'm not the only one to think you should try the idea.:snork:

• Like Like x 1
                    • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
                      +1,915
                      ok, ok, i'll do it alright! i'll plant the bloomin' thing to grow up the tree, ok, jeez! :rofllol:

but just so's you know i'll be expecting you two to be on the first boat over to sort it out for me if it all goes pear shaped lol :pathd: :pathd:

oh & i'd never have chucked it out though, no way, never :nonofinger:

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,838
                      It's a Clematis not a Pear tree, honeybunny!!!:snork:

• Funny Funny x 2