Growing French beans in conservatory

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by greenold, May 16, 2011.

1. greenold

greenold Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a couple of French bean plants in a pot that are growing well in my conservatory. I have constructed a wigwam of canes to support but its a bit flimsy and I'm not convinced it would withstand any strong winds. Could I keep my plants indoors and grow them to maturity in my conservatory?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,220
    Yes they will do OK indoors but you need a lot of space. I've grown them inside a greenhouse and they tend to take over, going a bit rampant.

They would do better outside though, can you strengthen your wigwam somehow. Add some more poles/canes as braces and make sure it's tied at the apex where all the canes meet.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I grew climbing French beans in the greenhouse once, for an early crop. As John says they get rather rampant! Since then I've grown dwarf French Beans in the greenhouse successfully. I just use them as an early crop until the outdoor ones come on, so I don't know how well they would cope in the heat of summer - but if they are in pots you can move them outside of course.

4. greenold

greenold Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks for your help. Sounds like I'm better off working on the wigwam. I think it's slightly more difficult because it's in a pot and I am limited by the width of the base.
    Will I be ok to plant them out soon (based in the Midlands)? I'm hardening them off during the day.