Growing grapes inside

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Beefy, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Beefy

Beefy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This may be a daft idea but what advice can any one give me. It started of as an idea over dinner break today. Is it possible, what varieties, am I to late this year ? As I said no idea at all(think idiot and you wont go far wrong) :D :confused: :D

[ 12. June 2006, 08:09 PM: Message edited by: Beefy ]

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Unless you have large - very large :D south facing window I think you would be struggling. Vines are pretty hardy as they go dormant in winter but once the gound warms up and the days lengthen they take off! They need loads of good daylight to grow properly. They'll do well in a conservatory providing they are rooted outside as their roots are deep and like to be kept cool.

This year would be far too late to try growing one for fruit as the flowers (fairly insignificant) are produced with the first leaves or shortly after. Cuttings (any vine owner will have loads) do root easily so you could maybe try one, keep indoors during summer and outside in a sheltered spot for winter. You'll need a large pot or half barrel. Expect three years before any fruit which needs a good sunny autumn to really ripen well.

3. Beefy

Beefy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Windows of greenhouse at work are south facing and get lots of sun ,can lay hands on 45 gallon plastic barrells ,have a cool place to store it in the winter time ,it all sounds good so far. Anyone got a cutting or two going spare ? In 4 or 5 years time there might ( I stress MIGHT :D ) be a bottle of wine in it for you. I travel from Stranrear to Rugby most weekends although other areas could be arranged .The company I work at weekends for go right to the south coast so nowhere is really out of the way as long as you can turn a full length artic truck or meet it in a services I can probably arrange it.Please,please,please can I have some?

4. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ah! Sorry - I thought you meant inside your living room :D Normal method for growing a vine in a greenhouse is to plant the vine in the ground outside the greenhouse and then train the trunk of the vine to grow through a hole in the wall or floor then up inside. Keeps the roots cool while the vine has the benefit of heat inside.

You also have PM ;)

5. Beefy

Beefy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    My sister lives in northwest Germany and has a conservatory (sorry, winter garden) which is built onto bricks directly into the ground. Because of this she has various things planted in the ground but which, of course, are indoors.

She's had a grapevine for years and gets a very good crop from it each year. I believe she massacres it each year and it resprouts and takes over the place.

So I see no reason why you can't try.

7. Beefy

Beefy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    L.O.L I will give it a go and see what happens. Its a bad day when you dont learn something :D ;)

8. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    I say go for it!!!! I am hoping to put a cover over the area outside the kitchen door, making a very small covered patio, and was wanting to do a vine...... memories of Greek holidays in the time when we had money, before kiddies...................

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    I am growing a grape vine boskop glory on my balcony in a large pot over an arch touch wood it is fine got it last year. it seems to be growing ok, doubled in size since i got it its at the top of the arch now, i went to the garden centre where i bought it spoke to the same lady a few days ago and she said i must be doing something right but they hate wind and that i probably will not get grapes until next year.
    I am west facing yes definately give it a try good luck from rosa

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    [​IMG]
    I grew a "Muscat of Alexandria" in a greenhouse for qute a few years, it needs a long growing season, so is not suitable for outside in the UK, but it has that really grapey muscat flavour.

11. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    do you think my grape vine will be ok in a covered balcony over the arch it would be lovely to see some grapes like yours that is nice
    from rosa

12. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Go for it Beefy, keep those sunflowers company! :D

13. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    rosa, grapes are not something that you can plant one year and get a crop the next, thatlady you spoke to is probably right, if there are no flowers by now then it will be next year.
    They do grow at a fast pace though and pinching out is a good idea to keep it under control.
    I'm not sure on how long a season Boskop needs, it will grow fine no problem where you have it but the problems occur during ripening.
    If the variety isn't suitable for outside growth then it wont ripen in time before the weather becomes too bad.

14. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    dont like to sound silly pete but how do you pinch out and yes it is nearly to the top of my arch it has doubled in size since the beginning of the growing season, the lady at the garden centre told me not to cut it at present as in the winter did not know what i was doing and i chopped the top off so she said i will have two main stems growing which i have.
    thanks for your advice, will wait and see what happens from rosa

15. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    oh and by the way pete there is no flowers on the vine as it is still growing from rosa