Growing Grapes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Kirst, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Kirst

Kirst Gardener

Retail Space Co ordinator
    Ratings:
    +6
    We are having a 24 feet by 10 feet Greenhouse, so we have thought about having a grape vine, white preferably.

Can anyone give us advise, types etc

Thanks Kirst

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I have Black Hamburg in mine (I think that's what it is called). Old fashioned, and somewhat prone to fungus ... but an old faithful.

Mine is planted outside, at the North end, and then "trained" in through a pane of glass (replaced with a piece of marine ply, with a hole in the middle, and an old compost bag stuffed is to insulate!)

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,085
    I used to grow "Muscat of Alexandra" in a lean to greenhouse, its a good flavoured late desert variety, but can suffer from botrytis late in the season.

I'm thinking there a some good new ones which are seedless that I would try these days in preference.

But I'm assuming you are looking for a good desert type rather than a wine grape.

4. Carl

Carl Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    will one of the comercial varieties like Thompson seedless grow in the uk under glass ?

i notice folks say about planting the roots outside - is there a reason for this , dad had a vine in his greenhouse for many years and it was planted inside

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,085
    Yes Thompson seedless would be OK in a greenhouse, I think.
    Cant say for definite because I've not tried, but that's the kind I would be looking at.

The reason for planting outside is two fold, it slows the plant down and stops it getting going to early, not a problem if you have heat.
    It also stops the need to water in summer once established.

It can however cause the fruit to split during ripening, should we get a wet autumn.

But bear in mind that if planted inside a greenhouse the roots will very quickly find their way out under the foundations into the outside anyway.

6. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,386
    I have no idea about grapes and have meant to google about growing some,anyway we was on our way tansley carboot last weekend and we spotted a vineyard :hate-shocked: here in derbyshire :blue thumb: Amber valley wines are doing a project over the 2 yrs growing commerical and on their site are the types of grape they are growing,i havnt got round to googling the varieties yet thou
    Seyval Blanc

Phoenix

Solaris

Reichensteiner

Ortega

Siegrrebe

Rondo

Pinot Noir

7. Carl

Carl Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    im going to have a look for a thompsons seedless then , if it doesnt come ill dig it up and try something different

8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,085
    I think there are others available these days which are seedless.
    Look for flavour and ripening times.
    If any heat may be required early or late in the season are all factors you need to take into account

I'd do a bit of homework first, as growing grapes is not a short term project so you need to get it right first time.

• Like Like x 1