1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Growing grass help please

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Stephen Lawes, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Stephen Lawes

Stephen Lawes Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone, im just wondering if i could please ask for some advice, earlier this year a section of our garden got taken over by moss to such an extent i had to dig it out and apply grass seed to return it to its original state, i managed this fine and it gave me the idea & half confidence to attempt to increase the amount of grass space available in the garden due to having small children and the original layout wasnt the most practical layout for children,

So i have removed all the bushes and will be pulling up paving slabs to the left (images attached) and top of the garden and have one large square of grass (will add hanging baskets or something at a later date so its not completely plain)

My question is this evening i have started digging down on the left of the garden all the old soil (left over bush root branches) to around 10-15cm, am i right in doing this or is this over kill? I am under the impression i need to do this and then add in top soil after before seeding. Just a little worried im digging too deep i can still see some very small root branches from what used to be there but its pretty tricky trying to get them all out,

I would use turf and make life a lot easier but i think it maybe a little out my diy skills and trying to get it level with the current grass seems to be more of a headache then just new soil / seeds im happy to water / wait for growth the time isnt a problem.

Thank you

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi @Stephen Lawes :sign0016: to GC and nice to have you with us plus also adding the pic's which helps members when giving advice :)

Do you intend to slab where you've dug out?

• Stephen Lawes

Stephen Lawes Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Hi gail thank you for your kind message,

No no slabbing at all its just going to be grass (even where the slabs currently are next to the hole i’ve dug) just havent pulled the slabs up until i need too,

Thank you

• Like Like x 1
      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Your welcome Stephen...where we had grass it's now gravel but my hubby mate, made sure rootings was out the ground the best he could shifted any mess there, then levelled it with a rake and then a stump and started laying the grass...nothing was added to our dirt to kick the grass off once he layed it, he did hit the joining's with a flat stump he made...as you can see by the link below. :)

Preparation of laying Turf

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,135
        Welcome to the forum Stephen. I wouldn't worry about getting all the smaller root sections out. From what I can make out from the 'before' picture those shrubs are not the type to regrow from roots. Also I don't see any need to get new top soil in, unless it's to build up the level to match the existing lawn. If you are also taking up those slabs there may be hardcore underneath that will need removing before you sow your new grass seeds.

Make sure you have compacted the dug over areas well before sowing. Digging down incorporates a lot of air into the soil, kind of fluffs it up and it will sink over time if left. Walk over it a few times using your heels. Spring and Autumn are the best time to sow grass seed. You can get away with it in the summer if you keep it well watered and don't walk on it whilst it establishes.

• Informative Informative x 1